lie nelsen stuff
I've seen over the last couple of weeks a lot of lie lienelsen stuff for sale, looks new out of the box, kinda reminds me of gentleman farmers. Do they woodwork? or fallen on hard times, just asking.
(10-14-2018, 08:09 PM)wing nut Wrote: I've seen over the last couple of weeks a lot of lie lienelsen stuff for sale, looks new out of the box, kinda reminds me of gentleman farmers. Do they woodwork? or fallen on hard times, just asking.

A lot of our members are older - many times a person's health becomes an issue.  Sometimes you just know it's time - you don't want your kids to have to sort thru and try to sell your tools.  Sometimes you just don't have a choice in the matter.

Lonnie
I have bought a few over the last couple years. Ill keep them well in my stead of these lifetime tools untill its my turn to pass them on. Trying to respect some awesome owners here and on the creek. They may have a few more kids handprints on them now though, guessing many more than normal.

Still need a 1, 2, and 3.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(10-14-2018, 08:09 PM)wing nut Wrote: I've seen over the last couple of weeks a lot of lie lienelsen stuff for sale, looks new out of the box, kinda reminds me of gentleman farmers. Do they woodwork? or fallen on hard times, just asking.

Retirement plans.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Many enter the hobby, fall prey to what others claim you need (both magazines and on forums), always in quest of setting up shop, with the best and the sharpest. Alas many tools never touch wood.

In my case, though I got better than forty years in working wood, my wife still resorts to looking through my shop for whatever LN or LV she can tell I don't have, and there's the next birthday or Christmas present. Now ow do I get FWW or PWW to put a set of inlay tools on their cover?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I purged my fleet several years ago.  I had a lot of LN planes I thought I really "needed" but turns out I never used them.  Things like butt mortise plane and chisel plane.  In retrospect, I should have waited as I progressed in skills to add something I needed and would actually use versus something I thought I would need and rarely or never used.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-15-2018, 06:15 AM)AHill Wrote: .......waited as I progressed in skills to add something I needed and would actually use versus something I thought I would need and rarely or never used.

AHill,
So true of many things in my shop. If only my skills would progress......

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(10-15-2018, 04:32 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Many enter the hobby, fall prey to what others claim you need (both magazines and on forums), always in quest of setting up shop, with the best and the sharpest.  Alas many tools never touch wood.

I've seen this as well.  Not necessarily just with woodworking, but any hobby that is gear-centric.  I know guys who have bought a lot of stuff for photography, hunting, golf, etc and ended up selling it all a few years later, because they lost interest or moved on to something else.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I have lots of tools that don't get used daily/weekly/monthly.....

I also have a full set of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive Craftsman's sockets that I am sure there are a few that after 35 years have never been used, but they are then just in case I need them.

If I run out of space or need the money at some point I may sell some of the tools but otherwise plan to keep them till the end.

Wife can always donate them all to the local high school or Vo-tech or charity if she doesn't want to deal with trying to sell them.
Yup, same thing with fly fishing.  When we first started, we added every do dah we saw in the magazine or in the fly fishing videos.  I sounded like the Tin Woodsman walking to a stream and at the end of the day, my shoulders and lower back ached.  Not from all the casting, but from the weight of the vest. 
No

I had to take a step back and then an honest look at what I really needed.  MOST of that stuff was passed on to other newbies who just had to have it. 
Big Grin  I think much of it has been passed more than footballs in a playoff game.

Now I fish with a small hip pack, small net, staff, and fly rod and reel. Beautiful.

In the woodshop? Lots of handtools.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.