A stroll down memory lane
Thumbs Up 
Remember when some of us made these ?...I think it has been close to ten years now....Kind of a four purpose "multi-tool"...A marking gauge, a beader, a precision layout square and a dovetail gauge all in one compact package...I bonded the brass wear plate to the cocobolo with JB Weld..no screws...and it's still holding !..One has a Lexan beam and the other is brass..One uses a sharpened tool steel pin held in place by friction alone and the other uses an Allen set-screw..The pin on the one with the set-screw can be rotated 90 degrees and it becomes a beader..you can make a pin larger or smaller and with a different shape for different profiles, or for cutting an inlay groove...The basic design was borrowed from a Hamilton gauge and just expanded, but it could be any shape..The construction material could be all wood, all metal, all plastic or any combination thereof...And just about any size...

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27a.jpg]upload image online

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27e.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27b.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-15-2018, 11:33 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: Remember when some of us made these ?...I think it has been close to ten years now....Kind of a four purpose "multi-tool"...A marking gauge, a beader, a precision layout square and a dovetail gauge all in one compact package...I bonded the brass wear plate to the cocobolo with JB Weld..no screws...and it's still holding !..One has a Lexan beam and the other is brass..One uses a sharpened tool steel pin held in place by friction alone and the other uses an Allen set-screw..The pin on the one with the set-screw can be rotated 90 degrees and it becomes a beader..you can make a pin larger or smaller and with a different shape for different profiles, or for cutting an inlay groove...The basic design was borrowed from a Hamilton gauge and just expanded, but it could be any shape..The construction material could be all wood, all metal, all plastic or any combination thereof...And just about any size...

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27a.jpg]upload image online

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27e.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27b.jpg]

Hello Jack;
I remember that period well, those should last until the end of time, very robust I think. I made some of the other tools back then, but not this one...  Why we were always making tools together back then, and not now, I have no idea.... it seems such a waste.. it's like we are a bunch a hermits...
Skip

(10-15-2018, 01:41 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Hello Jack;
I remember that period well, those should last until the end of time, very robust I think. I made some of the other tools back then, but not this one...  Why we were always making tools together back then, and not now, I have no idea.... it seems such a waste.. it's like we are a bunch a hermits...
Hi Skip.....I think a lot has changed here on the forum..we just don't have as much "participation" in any area when compared to the "olden days", IMO...The activity has been lacking since the new software went into effect but I'm not sure that's the reason..The posting of photos has fallen off dramatically as well..not to mention the activity in the S&S...I love toolmaking and really do enjoy seeing tools that others have made..and I would love to see lots more...That's one way ideas are born..
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-15-2018, 01:56 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hi Skip.....I think a lot has changed here on the forum..we just don't have as much "participation" in any area when compared to the "olden days", IMO...The activity has been lacking since the new software went into effect but I'm not sure that's the reason..The posting of photos has fallen off dramatically as well..not to mention the activity in the S&S...I love toolmaking and really do enjoy seeing tools that others have made..and I would love to see lots more...That's one way ideas are born..
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

Hello Jack;

Well that is certainly the case, but for me, back in the downturn I had plenty of time during the day to come here and stay awhile.... now that business is back I need to get it while I can.  I'm lucky to get the time to clean my tools and put'em away.... I have so many unfinished tool projects stashed back I could open a shop...
Skip

(10-15-2018, 02:04 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Hello Jack;

Well that is certainly the case, but for me, back in the downturn I had plenty of time during the day to come here and stay awhile.... now that business is back I need to get it while I can.  I'm lucky to get the time to clean my tools and put'em away.... I have so many unfinished tool projects stashed back I could open a shop...

now that business is back I need to get it while I can.

That's one reason I hadn't thought of...but best to pay attention to business..It's what makes it all possible !!!!!!
Laugh
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

About 10 years ago the kid appeared and started eating time. I'll blame her, lol.

I used to fish a lot too.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

If you take it apart and show me what I need I will make one. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-15-2018, 06:08 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: About 10 years ago the kid appeared and started eating time.   I'll blame her, lol.

I remember that, Matt...Hard to believe it has been that long...Seems like yesterday you were in Houston..
Wink

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-15-2018, 06:40 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If you take it apart and show me what I need I will make one. 
Yes

Ok Arlin...I will do that tomorrow...
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-15-2018, 06:08 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: About 10 years ago the kid appeared and started eating time.   I'll blame her, lol.

Same here!!!  Now I've got five of them.
Big Grin 

This is the one who started it all.  Now she's big enough to build little things for herself--like this little "fairy table."  Just a dowel, a couple bits of plywood, and a couple nails.  But it sure made her happy.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop