A stroll down memory lane
(10-19-2018, 02:10 PM)Blacky Wrote: I used the 12V 10a leads from the power supply and then run that through a brushed electronic speed controller (ESC). The servo tester allows me to vary the voltage. It actually works a lot better than I expected

And you are using welding wire rather than Nichrome????..I was designing one {in my head
Big Grin } that used a 19v 5amp power supply from a laptop...voltage/current varied using a light dimmer..Kinda like the Pyrography power supply I built a number of years ago for wood burning. I picked up a couple of those laptop power supplies at the local Goodwill store a year or so ago...There's lots of them out there and could be put to good use...Might work for a foam cutter...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

If you get closer to building one, I have some Nichrome wires kicking about I could send you. Ice machine cutting wires for turning sheets of ice into cubes. Manufacturer sold lots of parts for those things.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(10-19-2018, 10:41 PM)blackhat Wrote: If you get closer to building one, I have some Nichrome wires kicking about I could send you. Ice machine cutting wires for turning sheets of ice into cubes. Manufacturer sold lots of parts for those things.
Ian, Last year I bought a couple of rolls of 23ga Nichrome wire to make the tips for my pyrography pens so I still have plenty left, but thanks for the offer...When you buy those tips, they're pretty expensive for no more complicated than they are to make, and I enjoy making things anyway...I didn't realize it until I googled "Nichrome", that they sold that wire for people who vape, and it is sold in small rolls of various gauges..Many years ago, when I made my first pyrography power supply, I used the nichrome heating element out of an old electric heater from Goodwill...you never know what you will find at that place..
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Hi Jack......This is a plane I bought from you in 2006. I never use it but just let in sit on the shelf to admire it. I remember when I bought it from you and I said you should have a warning label on the package because that darn blade was so sharp. lol.....Thanks for the memories.

Mike

Attached Files Image(s)

Happiness Is: Seeing that brown truck pull up in front of the house.
Nichrome wire isn't really that good for this application. From what I've read, it's just too brittle. Stainless steel fishing wire and Mig Welding wire are the two types I've seen used the most. I am using 0.023" thk Mig Welding wire. And so far it's worked out great.

As I stated previously, I used the 12V leads from a PC Power Supply. I believe the output is 12V and 10a. To regulate the voltage I used a Brushed Electronic Speed Control (ESC) and a Servo Tester. This setup allows me to dial in the right amount of heat and let me cut foam like,...well, a hot knife through foam! But you need to keep in mind the resistance of the wire and the amp draw. If you watch Andrew Newton's Hot Wire Cutting videos on Youtube, he goes through the whole setup.

After a LOT of practice I was finally able to cut the cores of some wings list night. They weren't perfect but at least they looked like wings
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
(10-25-2018, 03:00 PM)netwurk101 Wrote: Hi Jack......This is a plane I bought from you in 2006. I never use it but just let in sit on the shelf to admire it. I remember when I bought it from you and I said you should have a warning label on the package because that darn blade was so sharp. lol.....Thanks for the memories.

Mike
Thank you, Mike... I have forgotten who the maker of the plane was but I found the brother to it in my stash yesterday..made by Sandusky...properly sharpened and set, those old boys will sing !!!!! Take yours for a spin sometime...
Big Grin
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-25-2018, 07:35 PM)Blacky Wrote: Nichrome wire isn't really that good for this application. From what I've read, it's just too brittle. Stainless steel fishing wire and Mig Welding wire are the two types I've seen used the most. I am using 0.023" thk Mig Welding wire. And so far it's worked out great.

As I stated previously, I used the 12V leads from a PC Power Supply. I believe the output is 12V and 10a. To regulate the voltage I used a Brushed Electronic Speed Control (ESC) and a Servo Tester. This setup allows me to dial in the right amount of heat and let me cut foam like,...well, a hot knife through foam! But you need to keep in mind the resistance of the wire and the amp draw. If you watch Andrew Newton's Hot Wire Cutting videos on Youtube, he goes through the whole setup.

After a LOT of practice I was finally able to cut the cores of some wings list night. They weren't perfect but at least they looked like wings
Sounds interesting, Dom...I have never seen a foam cutter in operation..I don't know how much heat is required but with a pyrography pen, the tip can glow red hot because it is burning wood...foam should melt at a much lower temp...I'll have to check out the videos.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-25-2018, 07:35 PM)Blacky Wrote: Nichrome wire isn't really that good for this application. From what I've read, it's just too brittle. Stainless steel fishing wire and Mig Welding wire are the two types I've seen used the most. I am using 0.023" thk Mig Welding wire. And so far it's worked out great.

I found this video and I think it shows pretty much how it works, Dom...Near the end of the video he makes a  foam wing and shows his method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQZFib8PiM

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Wasn't someone on here making a kit for those marking gauges years ago? One tool that I which I had. I have made several tools in the past, but for some reason, never made one of those marking gauges. I do find myself needing one that could make pencil marks along edges with one hand. Combo square and a pencil requires two hands. Might have to make one or two now.
(10-26-2018, 10:26 AM)Scoony Wrote: Wasn't someone on here making a kit for those marking gauges years ago?  One tool that I which I had. I have made several tools in the past, but for some reason, never made one of those marking gauges. I do find myself needing one that could make pencil marks along edges with one hand. Combo square and a pencil requires two hands. Might have to make one or two now.
About ten years ago I made and sold the metal parts for about 8 or 10 gauges this style to woodnetters...The wood and the machining for the body was supplied by the buyers..I also made them out of Lexan using a roll pin for the cutter but never sold any of those..They an be easily made out of just about any type of material, but the Lexan has an added advantage of being able to see through it. That's a handy feature when laying out dovetails, and you can do the milling on a drill press using router bits...You can also make several styles of beading cutters to fit these...

[Image: UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-mini-168.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset