Brush painting latex question
Question 
I'll soon be painting an entertainment center I'm building for my wife.  A few months ago I asked about getting a sprayer for it, but as cold weather is approaching and I don't want to buy a new tool right now (I have other tool needs that are more pressing).  The plan (unless you guys say other wise) is to buy the paint (which has primer in it) and thin it down with water so that it isn't thick enough to leave brush strokes.  I don't mind putting on multiple coats if needed as long as I can get a smooth surface.

Thoughts?
Semper fi,
Brad

Foam rollers do a really good job of leaving a smooth surface.  

Some kitchen cabinet makers offer hand brushed finish at a upcharge.  It adds a special "look".

http://www.crown-point.com/finishes/finishes.html

I've used General Finishes "milk paint" which is really a modern acrylic finish meant to mimic milk paint.  When brushed on with a foam brush it leaves absolutely no brush marks or runs.  

If the matte finish is not to your liking then you can top coat it with a clear finish in the sheen of your preference.  I compared it side by side with Sherwin-Williams best paint.  S-W did a terrific job matching the color and sheen, but they could not come close to the flaw-free finished product.

https://youtu.be/NouYJhwnt68
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The paint will be from a a selection of colors by whatever company it is that the missus selected for the rest of the house. There are sixteen colors in it; they all compliment each other, so it'll be latex. I didn't realize there were rollers that could leave a smooth surface; I've only used nap rollers. I'll look into that.

I assume I wouldn't need to thin the paint with a foam roller?
Semper fi,
Brad

I've done quite a lot of painting with latex (acrylic) paint and a foam roller. In my experience, the foam roller will leave a slight orange peal texture; not perfectly smooth, but better than brush marks. This may vary somewhat with the brand and quality of the paint. Use of a small amount of Floetrol (follow directions) will diminish the texture somewhat.
Benjamin Moore makes an excellent Extender, as does General Finishes.  3 to 6% of either make a world of difference in how well typical latex paints flow out.  Without Extender a foam roller will leave an orange peel finish, as was said above.  Water will work, too, but not as well as Extender.  

Whatever you use to apply it, you want to be sure to get paint that is designed for trim and doors, not wall paint.  Wall paint is not hard enough for any application where objects will be left laying on it.  SW's 100% acrylic ProClassic is one example of what to consider.  FWIW, both Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore can match most any color if the product you are using is not one of theirs and is not designed for trim and doors.  

John
The top of the cabinet will be walnut with BLO; nothing more than nick-knacks will sit on it. The carcass and trim will be painted.
Semper fi,
Brad

I defy anyone to distinguish my brushed on GF "milk paint" from a sprayed finish.  It is not my skill that did it.  The paint levels perfectly with no sags or pimples or brush marks.  Try a small can to test.  But you are limited to about 20 or so colors unless you blend your own.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I think most will agree that BLO is not the best finishing product. For one thing, it takes a long time to cure. It also takes several applications over a long time to build a protective finish. I suggest that you try an old time tried and proven simple to apply finish that, while not as durable as poly, will be better than BLO alone. The basic mix is 1 part BLO, 1 part oil based varnish (if you can find it), and 1 part thinner. You can substitute tung oil for the BLO, polyurethane for the varnish, and turpentine for the thinner. You can also add a bit of japan drier if you like. This mix is very much like danish oil and can be applied in much the same way.
I'm not worried about the cure time; the missus likes the way BLO looks on walnut (can't really blame her, right?) and is aware that it will take a while to be complete. I might try the mix you suggested on a scrap piece and see what she thinks about it.

Thanks!
Semper fi,
Brad

Floetrol for the latex paint.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15