Bandsaw for cutting thinner metal
I'm running into a situation more and more often where I need to cut thick sheet metal (1/8-1/4" steel) or thicker soft metal (3/4"-1" aluminum). Sometimes they are smaller pieces unacceptably small to cut on a table saw. I was thinking of getting a vertical metal cutting bandsaw (the horizontal versions would be too big vs frequency of use, and not really work to cut what I need). Googling "vertical metal bandsaw" returns nothing but shop-space pocket-painful results (ie., large and expensive).

I'm looking for options to get a bandsaw in my shop setup to cut metal. The requirements would include:

-Something I won't have to constantly argue with to use (I was considering a Harbor Freight 14", but afraid it would not meet this requirement)
-9", 10, or 12". 

I had a small Craftsman three-wheeler but the blade would not tension properly without falling off. I don't know if a better three-wheeler exists or if this is a common problem; so I would like to stick with two-wheelers is possible.

Of course, large is always better. 14" would be great, but don't know if I want to allocate that much shop space. On the other hand may be the easiest to get inexpensively.

If I try to convert a wood bandsaw to cut metal, what do you think it would take? I was pondering trying to resize the sheaves and/or change to a three-phase and a small VFD.
For very thin metal you should be able to use just a metalworking blade. 

For thicker metals, you need to slow the speed down considerably. A factor of 10 is probably acceptable.

In general, the harder the material, the slower the speed. I think aluminum, which is pretty soft, is several times harder than lignum vitae, so even really hard woods do not compare to metal.
(10-16-2018, 08:27 AM)Anthony W Wrote: I'm running into a situation more and more often where I need to cut thick sheet metal (1/8-1/4" steel) or thicker soft metal (3/4"-1" aluminum). Sometimes they are smaller pieces unacceptably small to cut on a table saw. I was thinking of getting a vertical metal cutting bandsaw (the horizontal versions would be too big vs frequency of use, and not really work to cut what I need). Googling "vertical metal bandsaw" returns nothing but shop-space pocket-painful results (ie., large and expensive).

I'm looking for options to get a bandsaw in my shop setup to cut metal. The requirements would include:

-Something I won't have to constantly argue with to use (I was considering a Harbor Freight 14", but afraid it would not meet this requirement)
-9", 10, or 12". 

I had a small Craftsman three-wheeler but the blade would not tension properly without falling off. I don't know if a better three-wheeler exists or if this is a common problem; so I would like to stick with two-wheelers is possible.

Of course, large is always better. 14" would be great, but don't know if I want to allocate that much shop space. On the other hand may be the easiest to get inexpensively.

If I try to convert a wood bandsaw to cut metal, what do you think it would take? I was pondering trying to resize the sheaves and/or change to a three-phase and a small VFD.
You can cut brass and/or aluminum on a wood cutting bandsaw but not steel...Steel is much too hard for the speed the blade ordinarily turns..I have made a couple of belt grinders out of 1 inch thick aluminum stock using a 6 point Timberwolf wood cutting blade on my Rockwell 14" saw, and some marking gauges out of 1/4" thick brass stock..just let the speed do the work and don't force the cut..If cutting metal was something I did very often, I would buy a metal cutting blade for the saw, but when the wood cutting blade gets dull, I sharpen it myself so no problem...A motor with a speed control would be ideal...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Rockwell used to make a 14" bandsaw with a two speed gearbox. We had one in our pattern shop. In low gear with a 14tpi metal cutting blade we cut 1/8 and 1/4 mild steel all the time.
You can probably find an older Delta or Rockwell wood/metal 14" bandsaw.  They cost a bit more than the wood only ones, but are around.  Or go to vintagemachinery.org and look at the documents (look for Delta Manufacturing, then select "bandsaws" to get here. ) to see what parts were used, and how much the blade is slowed down for which types of cut. Look at the ones that mention wood and metal, of course. You can also go to owwm.org and ask someone who knows a lot more about it than I do.
(10-16-2018, 09:55 AM)castguy2003 Wrote: Rockwell used to make a 14" bandsaw with a two speed gearbox. We had one in our pattern shop. In low gear with a 14tpi metal cutting blade we cut 1/8 and 1/4 mild steel all the time.

This
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-16-2018, 08:27 AM)Anthony W Wrote: I'm running into a situation more and more often where I need to cut thick sheet metal (1/8-1/4" steel) or thicker soft metal (3/4"-1" aluminum). Sometimes they are smaller pieces unacceptably small to cut on a table saw. I was thinking of getting a vertical metal cutting bandsaw (the horizontal versions would be too big vs frequency of use, and not really work to cut what I need). Googling "vertical metal bandsaw" returns nothing but shop-space pocket-painful results (ie., large and expensive).

-9", 10, or 12". 

we had a stand at our shop it was for a porta band i think it was made swagg 
it came in handy for  cutting metal it set on a bench  have this thing in my head my boss got it for about 100 bucks.
it did work ok
south vietnam war collage
(10-16-2018, 08:27 AM)I have one of these,http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Portable-Bandsaw-with-Stand/G8692with base and has worked well,  Not sure it meets your requirements.Anthony W Wrote: I'm running into a situation more and more often where I need to cut thick sheet metal (1/8-1/4" steel) or thicker soft metal (3/4"-1" aluminum). Sometimes they are smaller pieces unacceptably small to cut on a table saw. I was thinking of getting a vertical metal cutting bandsaw (the horizontal versions would be too big vs frequency of use, and not really work to cut what I need). Googling "vertical metal bandsaw" returns nothing but shop-space pocket-painful results (ie., large and expensive).

-9", 10, or 12". 

Anthony,  I had the same need last year and bought a used Milwaukee Portable Bandsaw.    Like Jim and Bob say you can get a stand for it.  I just made a platform table to bolt onto it, and then put it in a vise when I need to use it, very happy with the setup.
I have one of these,http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Portable-Bandsaw-with-Stand/G8692with base and has worked well,  Not sure it meets your requirements.Anthony W 

Interesting. some folks have mentioned stands, but I was thinking a stationary vise-type stand (no one elaborated on the 'stand'). I haven't seen a stand that converts a porta band into a horizontal bandsaw. I will need to consider if that will works for me. I can see it working for the 1" aluminum and the smaller 1/4" steel placed on edge. I might get stuck on trying to break down the larger pieces (16"x16") of sheet metal. The catch not only the starting width but also the ending widths. I don't know if I have ever needed a piece that wouldn't fit through a 12" bandsaw. But I'm thinking the porta band with the 4 5/8" through may not be wide enough.