A project for the Kitchen
Love the project and really like the figured wood.  If they could be resawn they would make matched drawer fronts.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Well, yesterday was a bit more fun than watching football games...
Rolleyes 

Rebates for the back panel were milled..

Corner blocks were milled and installed  onto the top web frame..

Web frame for the drawer to slide on was made.   Allowed the glue to dry..

Cleats for the two shelves were pre-drilled....one hole is slotted to allow the sides to move..

Lay out lines, to show where everything goes.   Was all set for a bit of assembly.....but
Uhoh 

No screws to be found in the shop, at least the correct length..
Upset   Had to go to the Wall E World store ( NOT paying Lowes'  price
No ) so that was over an hour shot..
Mad .then Supper.
Yes

had to wait until after Supper was done, before anything else could be done
Rolleyes
Stay tuned, for part 2   of the Sunday Funnies
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Ok, Taco Soup Supper was GOOD
Winkgrin !   Let it settle a bit ( beans..) then try again in the shop...
Rolleyes 

Some parts were easy to install.   Pilot holes are a tad oversize, to allow things to move...

Some parts took a little more work...got one side done...

Flip this mess over, onto the floor.   slap the other side onto the benchtop, hoist the first assembly up and onto the other.   Attach things together....some of which involved a clamp or three, to hold things in place...long enough for the screws to be used...then stand this up, onto the floor ( small work area, gets crowded) slide the top onto the bench...making sure to good side is down....and figure out which edge will be the "front".   Those "issues" resolved...
Rolleyes
Winkgrin 

I had drilled slots into the corner blocks in the top web frame.   Centered a screw in each slot.   attach the top.   Stand this up onto the floor...top needed a trim...
Cool 

And no screws sticking up through the top!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin 

Sanded the top smooth enough, for now.    Case will need a plywood back installed...that I need to go out and buy the 1/4" plywood 2' x 4' panel....might be enough left over for the bottom of the drawer.   Once the back is on,  I can start on a face frame....then either two doors ( flat paneled, instead of raised) or..work on a drawer...

Sounds like a fun week coming up?    Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Ok, BTW...how would this look as a drawer front?
Confused
Cool  

About the right size.   As for the assembled case..

Standing up on it's own four feet.    Need to add the foot pads...can do those while I have this on the bench, installing a back panel.

Corner blocks?    Simple little blocks..

A dab of glue and a screw or two to install on the top web frame....Install the frame in the case.   once the case is assembled and standing on the floor...I drill a mounting hole, then rock the drill front to back a few times, to form a slot.   Top of the case can move a bit,  slots allow the screws to adjust to  top's  movements. 

Once I had the lay out lines done on one side, I had to transfer those marks to the other case..

Then a square to finish the lines across.  This is where those rebates come in handy..
Cool 

Had  something behind to hold this upright....make sure the ends match.    Make a mark at each line...then move the first side out of the way.   Square from the rebate edge across.

Busy weekend...might be a busy week?   Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Well, although the shop is normally closed on Mondays....today wasn't one of those days....Hauled a plank to the shop...crosscut it into a few usable pieces..
Rolleyes

WAS quite a bit of "live edge"....didn't need any...ripped these down to get two blanks for a face frame..

1/2 laps were milled on the ends of the "rails''...

Rail for the bottom of the case needed a bit of bandsaw work..

Which then brought out a spokeshave to clean away burn marks..
Winkgrin

Seymour Smith & Son.   
Part 2 coming right up..stay tuned
Winkgrin
Next, stiles needed lines marked...where each rail needed to go...then I could cut the other half of the lap joint..

Chisel to clean these up..ran into lowes to buy a bit of Plywood for the back of the case...bought 2  panels 1/4" x 24" x 48".....was a good thing, as the size needed for the back was 25" wide....Hmmm...width became length, length became width....had to make a cut into both panels...at least I'll still have enough for the drawer bottom,,

Set the case up on two benches..
Rolleyes 

Not the best, but about all the room I had.   Pipe clamp to pull sides tighter,,,F style clamp to pull things into square,,I hope
Rolleyes  

Was going to nail this off...but after the first nail did a U-turn...went with the 1-1/8" screws.   Filler strip at the top.  Want to try to install the face frame...but didn't want it laying on my bench, blocking access to tools...can't have that
Rolleyes   So....cover the tool well with thin scraps, and just stand it up
Cool  

Ran into a problem...when check the stiles to the locations of the rails....the drawer runner frame was ..."off" right side was higher than the left side.   Made a gauge block..

Cut to match the "low" side....un-hooked the "high side" from the case, use the block to push the frame down a bit, to where it matched the other side...re-attach to the case...level and square, now...part 3 coming right up ( 5 hours of shop time.
Cool .28 photos,too)
Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Tablesaw: was bought by my Late Dad brand new at Sears...Saw is close to 50 yrs young....mitre gauge needed a bit of help, since I was going to do half lap joints on the saw..
Rolleyes 

That little stick?    Was the straightest scrap I could find
Winkgrin  but was a bit longer than this.   Ran the gauge through from both slots, also set the gauge for square
Cool  

This way, I get square cuts, which SHOULD produce square joints..in theory
Confused   

Had issues with the bottom ends of the stiles...blade was trying to shred the waste,,as well as cut it....may use Simon's  "Sawdust & Glue" trick, to patch this up..
Winkgrin 

These two drills....one has a 3/8" Forstner bit, the other a pilot hole bit.   I mark the locations for screws to attach the face frame to the case....counter-bore a hole, then a pilot hole for a screw...later, when I get enough room, I'll make a bunch of tapered, face grain plugs out of matching grain oak scraps....trying NOT to burn the plugs, this time around
Rolleyes 

The spokeshave used today....beltsander couldn't get the job done.   At least this was sharper the the Stanley one I had. 

Tuesday? Will try to install the face frame...maybe start on the doors..or the drawer...we'll see.

Stay tuned...

( feel free to stop in and lend a hand..
Winkgrin )
After Lunch had settled, went to the shop for a while.....face frame is now installed...
Cool 

Kept the scrap from the bottom rail.....and milled a lot of Tapered Plugs..

Pop each out, dab of glue on the narrow end, hammer to install.
Cool  

While keeping an eye on the grain direction....let the glue dry awhile...come back with an Aldi's wide chisel, to pop the waste off ( bevel down) then flush things up with a block plane..
Cool 

letting things cure out for a while.....need some of them clamps back....blank for the drawer's front had height "issues"
Rolleyes  

Maybe later, I can get this glued up? 

Stay tuned,,,day ain't over, yet....
Clamps came off....plugs trimmed....edges now have round-overs milled.   One of the four feet was making the case rock..badly....trimmed it to match the others.  

Sits without any rocking going on..now. Plugs have been trimmed flush..
Cool 

There are at least 3 plugs in that photo.    Sides were flush sanded to the face frame, or was it the other way around...
Rolleyes 

Top has a round-over all the way around.   Sanded then scrapered..

"Scrapered"?
Confused
Cool

Yep, this Stanley No. 82.   Used on the face frame, the sides, and the top.   Might have it about sharp, now.   Was peeling decent enough shavings

BRB, have a couple more things to show...like where all them clamps went..
Confused
Ok..feet?   rather than drag bare wood across the floor...nail on pads were installed..
Cool 

Those white plastic thingys.   Save the Kitchen flooring, too. Feet themselves also got a round-over, as did the front corners of the stiles, and the cut-outs at the bottom.

This is where most of those clamps went....that Pine block is just a caul, had a spot that needed pulled flat.   Let this sit overnight...Tomorrow should be Drawer Building 101..
Winkgrin 

Finish?
Confused 

Stain first, then the Amber Shellac....then the Clear Gloss Poly.   Might be a while, yet.  

Build a drawer, then see about one more plank of White Oak....for door frames.   Have the 3/8" panels, need the frames.   Then get this base cabinet out of the shop...finished up....the there is a "topper" to build.   Adds a pair of shelves over the Microwave Oven that will be there...have all the boards for that..

Stay tuned..the cussing is about to begin...
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Cool