Winter dust collection upgrading...
As winter is right around the corner I am beginning to re-evaluate my dust collection. I run a .5 micron filtered unit from tool to tool with a separation can in between to sort out the large stuff. I have below and above the blade collection on the table saw. It is the planer and joiner that I am wondering about these days. I have watched several videos of guys wearing a respirator while using the power planer and joiner even with DC hooked up to the tool. 

I attach the DC straight to the tool and usually all I get lying about is some larger chips that managed to get loose. I don't see a lot of dust, but the unseen dust is the dust that is dangerous. Should I be wearing a respirator while using these tools? I do have a ceiling mounted air cleaner that I run as well. If it is wise to wear a respirator while using those tools, how long after they are turned off is the respirator necessary? Some of the videos I see the guys taking them right off after turning off the tool. Seems a bit early. I will have a closed up garage all winter and will be working in an environment that will not be opened anymore than necessary until May...

Thank you!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
As long as it is comfortable for you to keep the respirator on.

But how bad is the dust in your shop? Did you check your air filtration system and how bad was it? That should give you an idea how "dusty" your shop is in general.

In winter, after making a lot of dust (despite all the dust collection equipment I have), I will open up the garage door and let fresh air in (or dusty air out). After 5 minutes or so with the shop filled with fresh air, I will close the door and let the shop warm up again. Meanwhile, I take a break in my house while the shop heater is working (for another 10 to 15 minutes). It may sound like disruption to some, but it is break time well deserved. I am now old enough not to rush things through in my shop.

Simon
As power tools go, the jointer and planer probably produce the least fine dust in the shop. But if you want to wear a respirator it's the right thing to do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Just remember that, unlike the DC system, the only way the air cleaner is doing anything at all is if there's dust in the air to clean out, and if there's dust in the air, you're breathing it too.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-18-2018, 01:25 PM)titanxt Wrote: I attach the DC straight to the tool and usually all I get lying about is some larger chips that managed to get loose. 

Andy

Your dust collector will pick up the fine dust much easier than the larger chips, as you mentioned. And your system seems to be adequate to separate the dust into the can before it reaches the DC. So, in my humble opinion, wearing a respirator during these functions isn't necessary unless you're seeing fine dust escape your DC bag.

But as, Tom said, if you feel more comfortable wearing it, knock yourself out...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."