Tool tune up help
I was practicing with the new to me lathe and the tools that came with it. My immediate plan is to make some pens. I posted some pics of the gouges that I got with the lathe. I am hoping for some direction on which gouges would be best for pens and how to best tune them up. From what I have seen on YouTube a grind at about 40-45 degrees is preferred. I haven't measured these but they don't look to be that high. Should I do anything to the shape other than getting them more uniform? I also have some skews but they are all straight across. I plan on giving them a little radius across the top. They did leave a smoother surface but will take more practice. One practice piece did not survive the experience.

I was thinking the middle 2 would be best for pens. The other two seem a bit big for stuff as small as pens. The second one down is carbide tipped and curve on the top and bottom. The third one down is just HSS and is flat on the top and bottom.

The top and bottom ones look like roughing gouges. Is it possible to grind one of them into another type of gouge? I don't see why I would nee 2 roughing gouges.

Only use two or three tools to turn pens 3/4” roughing gouge, 1/2” or 3/4” skew and maybe a parting tool for turning tenons or sizing a pen blank.

Pen turning all about spindle turning and here are basic tools you need.

https://www.rockler.com/how-to/essential...le-turning

Looking at the pictures posted and what you said have enough to get started with exception of scrapers. Looks like combination of carbon and other steel tools which okay to learn to turn & sharpen, but may want to replace them with M2 HSS tools eventually.

If have problems getting consistency sharpening on you bench grinder recommend getting a system. I prefer this one but there are others out there. Also recommend the vair-grind jig with basic Wolverine system. I use friable grinding wheels on my grinder.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant...=sharp-wss

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant...=sharp-wss
Bill
(10-19-2018, 07:44 AM)Bope Wrote: I was practicing with the new to me lathe and the tools that came with it. My immediate plan is to make some pens. I posted some pics of the gouges that I got with the lathe. I am hoping for some direction on which gouges would be best for pens and how to best tune them up. From what I have seen on YouTube a grind at about 40-45 degrees is preferred. I haven't measured these but they don't look to be that high. Should I do anything to the shape other than getting them more uniform? I also have some skews but they are all straight across. I plan on giving them a little radius across the top. They did leave a smoother surface but will take more practice. One practice piece did not survive the experience.

I was thinking the middle 2 would be best for pens. The other two seem a bit big for stuff as small as pens. The second one down is carbide tipped and curve on the top and bottom. The third one down is just HSS and is flat on the top and bottom.

The top and bottom ones look like roughing gouges. Is it possible to grind one of them into another type of gouge? I don't see why I would nee 2 roughing gouges.

I see some nice broad sweep forged gouges there.  Roughing gouges are deeper.  Having duplicates means that if the one you're using gets a tad less than sharp, you can pick up the spare and finish working rather than interrupting to sharpen.    

The lower the grind, the easier it is to plane with, so I keep my roughing gouge (1 1/2") bevel at about 45, or 1.4 times thickness, but the planning types are at nearly twice thickness in length.  I don't fingernail them much, because that means the bevels are longer on the edges than in the center.  I prefer all to be close to the same angle, so all points on the edge are equivalent, and I don't have to change my angle of attack to get to the sweeter edge.  Pulling them back a touch tends to keep a casual catch at bay. 

Simple as can be to grind initially.  Match desired bevel angle and swing handle left and right.  After that, hone.  Which is where you'll love the carbon steel versions, because they respond well to the stone.  HSS is a bit tougher, so diamond stone and cone seems best.  Not that you need the tool steel (HSS) to cut wood.  It resists softening due to friction, but since you are slicing and sliding, not scraping or dragging the heel - no problem.

The infinitely broad sweep is a straight chisel.  If you like, you can use it for the whole pen process, from rough to plane smooth.  Beads well, too.  Same drill, anchor, swing and slide to shave.  I like it over a skew because you can rotate it into the work without worry about catching that leading nose.  EVERYTHING trails where you've been when you do the skew.  Slide  >  \   beats the daylights out of slide >  / where the upper part may hook where you haven't been and make a neat spiral slash!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thank you for the tips. I have a 6" variable speed grinder I am going to use for sharpening. It needs new wheels so I was going to look for wheels better for sharpening than general grinding. I may have to wait for the holidays to get a Wolverine system. I should also get a face shield. Rounding out small things for pens didn't seem too bad but I can see where doing something larger would be nice to have more protection. I do have glasses on. Also catching a skew can do more than just an ugly spiral. My small piece exploded.
(10-19-2018, 01:46 PM)Bope Wrote: Thank you for the tips. I have a 6" variable speed grinder I am going to use for sharpening. It needs new wheels so I was going to look for wheels better for sharpening than general grinding. I may have to wait for the holidays to get a Wolverine system. I should also get a face shield. Rounding out small things for pens didn't seem too bad but I can see where doing something larger would be nice to have more protection. I do have glasses on. Also catching a skew can do more than just an ugly spiral. My small piece exploded.

If you wish I can sharpen them for you if you mail them to me and I will mail them right back.  Send me a pm if you want to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.