Bow Tie Keys
Any suggestions as to the best way to make bow tie keys? I just made a practice one and it didn’t come out too well. Is it worth getting the template from Rockler?

Any advice/suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.
(10-23-2018, 04:25 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Any suggestions as to the best way to make bow tie keys?  I just made a practice one and it didn’t come out too well. Is it worth getting the template from Rockler?

I had made several sizes of bow tie keys. I found that freehand routing of a template was a poor idea. Too much time with a file and sandpaper stick to straighten the sloppy template I made. I thru the template out, made new ones. I drew the keys full size on a piece of 1/2" hardwood plywood. Then brad nailed small scraps along the 4 edges adding 1/4" on each side for the cutter.
I routed the bowties using a laminate trimmer with a 1/4" top bearing bit. This gave me clean templates that I clamped down over the stock
I made a sofa table recently and needed 3 bow tie's.  I made mine by hand and cleaned them up with a chisel.  I've also seen them made using a band saw.
Cut your template material in half and only lay out one half of the key. Stack the two template blanks and cut it out and sand to the lines. fold the template banks out and edge glue them. Viola, a symmetrical template. If you use a router collar and bit with the extra spacer collar for templates you will not have to worry about the radiused corners. leave them sharp.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(10-23-2018, 04:25 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Any suggestions as to the best way to make bow tie keys?  I just made a practice one and it didn’t come out too well. Is it worth getting the template from Rockler?

I am a fan of handmade, as it adds a little personality to the work. I cut them by eye on the bandsaw, double stick tape to the board, using a sharp knife to outline/scribe the bowtie shape then carefully create the bulk of the void for the bowtie to within 1/16"->1/32" with a small router/spiral cutter bit and clean up the edges/corners with a chisel. May not be the fastest way, but I like the way it looks (usually on a rustic piece)
Cut the inserts on a table saw, either tilting the blade or using a jig.  Clean up "X's" intersect with a chisel.  I take a very thin shaving off the bottom edges before scribing the outline onto the base peace.  This gives me a very tight fit, no gaps.  Mark the outline with a pencil which is easier to see than the scribe line for the next step, route out the bulk with a router.  Finish up paring to the scribed outline with a chisel.  Glue and tap in the X.
(10-24-2018, 07:20 AM)retrdwoodwkr Wrote: Cut the inserts on a table saw, either tilting the blade or using a jig.  Clean up "X's" intersect with a chisel.  I take a very thin shaving off the bottom edges before scribing the outline onto the base peace.  This gives me a very tight fit, no gaps.  Mark the outline with a pencil which is easier to see than the scribe line for the next step, route out the bulk with a router.  Finish up paring to the scribed outline with a chisel.  Glue and tap in the X.

Agreed, forgot to mention that part. Have also used painters tape and cut thru it with sharp knife for better visual on scribed outline. 
Thanks for the reminder...
I cut my templates on the band saw, clean up with chisel and sand paper.  IMHO the hand made shape looks much better than the "institutional".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Great feedback. Thanks.
Fold a piece of paper in half. Draw half a bow tie on the paper starting at the fold. Cut it out then unfold paper. Bow tie drawing with matching sides. Trace drawing on thick blank stock and cut out on bandsaw. Then lay thick bow tie on side and cut out correct thickness bow ties. A little sanding and you have matching bow ties.