what is this?
Picked this up in a box lot at auction.  So it isn't necessarily a woodworking tool.  Anyone know just what this thing is?  It is 11" long, 1.5" at the wheels, the wheels are 1.25" in diameter.  Each layer of wheel is a separate disk, the screws at the end appear to be able to open the cover to remove the axle to allow changing wheels.

Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(10-24-2018, 10:05 AM)jppierson Wrote: Picked this up in a box lot at auction.  So it isn't necessarily a woodworking tool.  Anyone know just what this thing is?  It is 11" long, 1.5" at the wheels, the wheels are 1.25" in diameter.  Each layer of wheel is a separate disk, the screws at the end appear to be able to open the cover to remove the axle to allow changing wheels.
Looks a little extreme for a pie crust "fluter"
I think it is for 'dressing' grinding wheels. It removes caked on crud, re flattens and exposes fresh grit on a grinding wheel.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
(10-24-2018, 10:28 AM)PedroOhare Wrote: I think it is for 'dressing' grinding wheels. It removes caked on crud, re flattens and exposes fresh grit on a grinding wheel.

Pedro

Exactly what it is.   I have one.   Roly
(10-24-2018, 10:44 AM)Roly Wrote: Exactly what it is.   I have one.   Roly

+2... When I first saw the image I knew I had used one ... but, for what? Still can't remember when. It would have been before diamonds were cheap.
I have one, too.  It’s called a star wheel.
Thanks All!!!
Its a keeper, since I don't have a stone dresser.
Now all I need (added to my wish list) is the grinding jigs since the auction buy grinder didn't have any.

Jim
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
The wheels wear down over time.  Some hardware stores or industrial supply houses sell replacements.  You apply it to the grinding wheel with just enough pressure to get the wheels spinning.
And if you are using it effectively it results in showering you with
grit. Best to do it while wearing not only safety glasses but also
a full shield. Diamond dressing wheels are somewhat better. Still
pretty messy.

My long term to do list includes moving all of my grinding equipment
onto a rolling cart that I can push outside. Simply to avoid the clouds
of metal dust in the shop.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(10-24-2018, 12:15 PM)jppierson Wrote: Thanks All!!!
Its a keeper, since I don't have a stone dresser.
Now all I need (added to my wish list) is the grinding jigs since the auction buy grinder didn't have any.

Jim

Star wheels are great for "opening up" the wheel and exposing new "grains", but if improperly used they can dress the wheel "out of round" quickly...I use one occasionally but for precision grinding, I dress with a boron carbide "stick" or a diamond dresser. If using a diamond dresser, it is best if you "rig up" a device to hold the dresser "true" so that it does not bounce when hand-held....I made one out of wood and use it on the Veritas tool rest...As the grinding wheel wears down, I dress the face of the wheel on a slight angle to provide "clearance" so that the tool or stock does not contact the diameter of the motor. This is important when you have to grind long pieces of metal....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset