Planing prefinshed material
If you set to plane deeper than what the finish penetrated the wood, the finish won't affect your blades.
The blade digs in, lifting the wood and finish.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

How much harder is a few thou of finish vs. white oak?

Uhoh
Worked with lots of "pre-used" hardwood with various kinds of finish on them. Jointed them, planed them, etc. etc. This is a typical example of "analysis paralysis" IMO. You will have no problems whatsoever planing the boards, providing of course all metal fasteners have been removed. You will probably not notice any appreciable dulling of the planer knives, again IMO.

Good luck,

Doug
I sent eight antique QSWO dining room table leaves (finished two sides) through my planer.

The knives were used when I started, but working fine.

They needed flipping immediately after.

I was okay with it, I was pretty sure it was going to be nice wood and I wasn't disappointed.

The knives are $25 to $30 a set, and they're reversible.

I figure I used half of one side up.  So $7.50 for the old-growth QSWO I got seemed a bargain.

I'd do it again.
I'd grab my 4"x 24" belt sander with a medium belt. It would take the finish off quickly, removing any doubt.

But first you've got to have such a beast and second you need to know how to use it.

I've had a couple of "OOPS!" with it
Wink
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)