Fine Woodworking is changing online access
I quit FWW subscriptions after they changed the KNOTTS forum. I buy an occasional copy at the newsstand.

PWW is now a joke. It has been several years since I let that subscription lapse. Last week, I looked over the current release, very thin, with paper about the thickness of toilet paper. Content seemed aimed at rank amateurs.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I've never paid a subscription fee for any woodworking mag/website. I go and will look at the mags. Ive bought a fair amount of shopnotes years ago when I was starting out as well as fine woodworking (normally 3-4 a year) if I like an article. 

With that said, $99 a year for good content isnt a bad deal. 

But with all the free content on youtube, and the ability to view a mag before buying it...why bother. 

But of all the woodworking mags, Fine Woodworking is far above anyone else and its not even close.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(10-28-2018, 01:00 PM)Tony Z Wrote: PWW is now a joke.  It has been several years since I let that subscription lapse.  Last week, I looked over the current release, very thin, with paper about the thickness of toilet paper.  Content seemed aimed at rank amateurs.

I did not renew PWW when it came up this year.  Beancounters are running it, and running it thin; not much for me there.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've got the first 100 issues of FWW plus the index.   Once I become proficient with what's in those issues, I'll get some more magazines.
(10-28-2018, 09:41 AM)Admiral Wrote: Well, a paper subscription does allow you to download that year's issues digitally. 
how do you do that?  I have never seen any reference to them allowing me to access them digitally.  I often find an article online and then they ask me for $25 do d/l, but fortunately they tell me what issue it is in so I can go find the paper version.

I used to buy it on the newsstand every month.  That was a bit silly.  but I have been a subscriber for at least 25 years.  I forget if my mother subscribed to FWW, but she had a FHB subscription.  I have an obnoxiously large collection of both magazines.
In the past, I enjoyed Popular Woodworking, but it has declined the last few years. The last issue (Nov. 2018) is 64 pages, 25 of which are full page advertising. My subscription expired with that issue and I will not renew.

As for Fine Wood Working, I have the print subscription and a subscription to the web site, which was discounted as I had the print subscription. Just looked and it will now be $99.00 per year. No way will I pay that, especially since I already have the 1975-2017 CD archive on the computer.
(10-28-2018, 09:51 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: As for Fine Wood Working, I have the print subscription and a subscription to the web site, which was discounted as I had the print subscription. Just looked and it will now be $99.00 per year. No way will I pay that, especially since I already have the 1975-2017 CD archive on the computer.

On the most recent Shop Talk Live podcast, editor Tom McKenna said anyone with the old $35 website-only plan, can keep it.  I'm guessing your discounted plan is grandfathered as well.  

Mike
I have been considering a FWW subscription.  I watch the new Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking shows; they are advertising a $34.95 online subscription to FWW.  How is this different from the $99.95 deal?  I know that a print version of the magazine is not included in the $34.95 online access, but what the content difference for that access and the high-dollar version?

The FWW website is built to grab subscribers, but alas, is not built to tell them clearly what they might be getting when they're considering the purchase.
(10-29-2018, 06:06 AM)WxMan Wrote: I know that a print version of the magazine is not included in the $34.95 online access, but what the content difference for that access and the high-dollar version?

That plan has been discontinued.  According to Tom McKenna on the SHOP TALK LIVE podcast, those currently enrolled in that old plan can keep it as long as they keep paying the annual fee.

Mike
(10-29-2018, 07:02 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: That plan has been discontinued.  According to Tom McKenna on the SHOP TALK LIVE podcast, those currently enrolled in that old plan can keep it as long as they keep paying the annual fee.

Mike

Hmmm.  Discontinued even though it's still being advertised on TV now?