Which Steel, O1 or A2
I'm ordering a couple of Veritas spokeshaves. The flat one and a concave one. The question is what's everyones opinion on the choice of steel. O1 or A2.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
(10-27-2018, 01:41 PM)ruffcutt Wrote: I'm ordering a couple of Veritas spokeshaves. The flat one and a concave one. The question is what's everyones opinion on the choice of steel. O1 or A2.

Have you tried honing A2? It keeps an edge, but takes forever to re-establish get it truly sharp in the first place. O1, a few strokes on the stones and off you go -- but you'll be back to the stones sooner. Still, O1 keeps a pretty dang good level of sharpness. It's not like you'll be disassembling your shave every hour.

If you don't mind touching up the edge relatively often, get O1. If you want to set it an leave it, get A2 -- but know you're in for a chore every once in a while. Personally, I'd get O1 for the curved shave, for this exact reason.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I have not used spokeshaves recently. Regarding O1 vs A2, I am seeing grumbling from people who find A2 inconvenient when sharpening. The hardness of the metal means they go to a grinding wheel rather than hand stones for rough bevel prep ... and likely, final honing is a real chore, something I am not fond of. It means another tool needed, and potential for overheating the metal. For the few seconds I would need one, having a grinder in the way seems redundant.
A lot depends on your sharpening media. If you use diamond plates or harder water stones the a2 sharpens fine.

If you use oil stones or King or equivalent water stones it takes a lot longer.

For the concave I would get the 01 if I had a choice because j might end up using sandpaper on a dowl or a slip stone to sharpen it.

Most of my blades are A2.
(10-27-2018, 03:29 PM)mongo Wrote: A lot depends on your sharpening media.   If you use diamond plates or harder water stones the a2 sharpens fine.

If you use oil stones or King or equivalent water stones it takes a lot longer.

For the concave I would get the 01 if I had a choice because j might end up using sandpaper on a dowl or a slip stone to sharpen it.  

Most of my blades are A2.

I have a Tormek 2000 (and older one) and some DMT  diamond plates in fine, extra fine and extra extra fine. The DMT plates are new to me (just got them last week) so I'm not familiar with them yet.
Eagle River AK
(10-27-2018, 01:56 PM)Aram Wrote: Have you tried honing A2? It keeps an edge, but takes forever to re-establish get it truly sharp in the first place. O1, a few strokes on the stones and off you go -- but you'll be back to the stones sooner. Still, O1 keeps a pretty dang good level of sharpness. It's not like you'll be disassembling your shave every hour.

If you don't mind touching up the edge relatively often, get O1. If you want to set it an leave it, get A2 -- but know you're in for a chore every once in a while. Personally, I'd get O1 for the curved shave, for this exact reason.

+1 
Yes

This is good advice by me.   I much prefer O1 for these reasons for most tools.  There may be tools that would be better off with the A2, I don't have any yet...
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
(10-27-2018, 01:41 PM)kruffcutt Wrote: I'm ordering a couple of Veritas spokeshaves. The flat one and a concave one. The question is what's everyones opinion on the choice of steel. O1 or A2.

When you say "concave", I suspect you mean round bottom. If so, the blade shape for each spokeshave is the same .. straight.

The choice of steel should come down to the type of wood you work, since A2 will hold its edge at least twice that of O1, and some woods are more abrasive than others. Here in Australia, while I like the finer grain of O1, it does not hold an edge for long enough. 

It is logical to view O1 the better choice for finishing, as one can often get a better/sharper edge than on A2. However, A2 will take just as fine an edge ... one simply needs to have a little experience. 

Since you are buying Veritas, get the PM-V11 steel. It costs a little more, but outlasts A2 and has grain as fine as O1. It does hone line A2, however.

Honing is as quick among steetl types if you use a methods that reduces the area of steel to a minimum. This comes down to either working a hollow grind, or a secondary bevel. In each case you aim to create a microbevel. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/...301s10.jpg

they do make a concave
(10-27-2018, 07:23 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: When you say "concave", I suspect you mean round bottom. If so, the blade shape for each spokeshave is the same .. straight.

The choice of steel should come down to the type of wood you work, since A2 will hold its edge at least twice that of O1, and some woods are more abrasive than others. Here in Australia, while I like the finer grain of O1, it does not hold an edge for long enough. 

It is logical to view O1 the better choice for finishing, as one can often get a better/sharper edge than on A2. However, A2 will take just as fine an edge ... one simply needs to have a little experience. 

Since you are buying Veritas, get the PM-V11 steel. It costs a little more, but outlasts A2 and has grain as fine as O1. It does hone line A2, however.

Honing is as quick among steetl types if you use a methods that reduces the area of steel to a minimum. This comes down to either working a hollow grind, or a secondary bevel. In each case you aim to create a microbevel. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Sorry about that. Yes I meant round.
Eagle River AK
I agree with Derek. Spend the extra $$ for the PM-V11 steel. Sharpens like O1 but holds its edge like A2. That’s what’s in my spokeshaves.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop