anyone know what this is?
I'm trying to identify the smaller of the 2 tools in this pic. It has a handcrank and when you turn it, the spindle revolves a couple revolutions in 1 direction, then a couple revolutions in the other direction.

Thanks
roger901

Attached Files Image(s)

From the "Dark Ages":  It is a valve lapping tool for engines.  The flat key on the end of the shaft would fit into grooves cut in the valves of the engine.  Lapping compound of the desired grit would be smeared on the valve/valve seat surfaces and then the pictured tool would be used to lap in the seats until the valve had full contact around the seat area.  Just like lapping in the back of a plane blade or chisel only using a rotary motion.
(10-28-2018, 08:43 AM)roger901 Wrote: I'm trying to identify the smaller of the 2 tools in this pic. It has a handcrank and when you turn it, the spindle revolves a couple revolutions in 1 direction, then a couple revolutions in the other direction.

Thanks
roger901

I believe that's an old valve grinder for auto repair. 

Andrew
thanx for the ID, guys
KUDOS to AndrewB and Oarlock
Great Catch.