European Hinge Jig?
I'm building some new cabinets, and wanted to try the European style hinges (never done it before).

Anyone used the Kreg jig?  Or recommend another?

I do have a drill press, so I am open to other types of jigs, but the Kreg looks more.. person proof?

tia.. Dave
Try Lee Valley,they have free shipping right now,with a $40.00 purchase.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I've installed hundreds of euro hinges and never found it necessary to use a jig.  Read the installation instructions for the hinges you plan to use, because it's not a one size fits all kind of thing, then set the cup center distance on the door with a combo square, and the mounting plate holes on the cabinet side with another.  Use a punch to define those holes, then bore them on your drill press.  

And I usually make a story stick to locate the center line of the hinge cup and mounting plates.   

John
I used the Kreg jig on the last couple of doors I installed.  It worked well for me and if nothing else it made it convenient...set it up and then no measuring.   If you're just doing a door or two it might not be worth it but if you have several, or lots of doors, I would recommend it.
I bought the Kreg jig on a whim and really like it.  Much easier than the drill press
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I usually only have to do a few at a time. The rare times I had to do several I made my own jig using scrap ply
I have a door hinge/shelf drill machine. Expensive, about a grand.
Before that, I used a 1-3/8" forester bit. set at a 1/2" deep on a drill press.
Make you a back stop to fit your table, set the edge distance, and make 2 marks on the backstop to align the spacing from the top/bottom of your doors, and drill away.

Your only cost would be the forester bit if you don't have that size.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have the Porter Cable version and I like it.  Very robust construction.  It includes a face frame clamp and all the bits store on board.  It adjusts lighning fast and it works great with dimensional (2 x 4) lumber too.  

Here is a comparison.  The reviewer seems to like the Kreg better in the video.  But he demostrates both so it is worth looking at.

https://youtu.be/dXxMEiz-gYw
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-31-2018, 06:03 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've installed hundreds of euro hinges and never found it necessary to use a jig.  Read the installation instructions for the hinges you plan to use, because it's not a one size fits all kind of thing, then set the cup center distance on the door with a combo square, and the mounting plate holes on the cabinet side with another.  Use a punch to define those holes, then bore them on your drill press.  

And I usually make a story stick to locate the center line of the hinge cup and mounting plates.   

John

I made a template of plexiglass with a wood fence on it with three small holes in it for a center punch .    As John said it is not one size fits all .    If you are profiling  the rails and styles remember you are drilling 1/2" deep with the 35mm bit.   Suggest drilling for hinge before profiling if the board will not lay flat.  Above all try set up on sample boards to make sure the hinges fit and not cutting into profile.   Roly
I made this one when making our kitchen cabinet doors. The hinged stops  are used to position the holes at the top and bottom of the stiles so I wouldn't have to measure each one. Flip them both up for any other holes between. The screw heads sticking up keep the stile from moving once in the jig.

[Image: tools013-1.jpg]

[Image: tools012-1.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS