Minimax or hammer
No "dog in this hunt", but earlier this year IIRC, there was an SCM horror story that was posted here. Guy bought an SCM/Miminax tablesaw, it arrived basically mangled due to shipping. He accepted the machine and SCM was of little to no help to him with the claim. I'm not sure what finally happened but I think he wound up paying for the damaged parts himself and installing them.

Maybe someone here can dig up that thread. It was quite informative IMO. I will not pay money (especially for expensive machines, as in this case) if the company will not stand behind the product, including shipping (which they make you pay for). Makes no sense whatsoever.

Doug
(11-04-2018, 11:28 PM)Tapper Wrote: No "dog in this hunt", but earlier this year IIRC, there was an SCM horror story that was posted here. Guy bought an SCM/Miminax tablesaw, it arrived basically mangled due to shipping. He accepted the machine and SCM was of little to no help to him with the claim. I'm not sure what finally happened but I think he wound up paying for the damaged parts himself and installing them.

Maybe someone here can dig up that thread. It was quite informative IMO. I will not pay money (especially for expensive machines, as in this case) if the company will not stand behind the product, including shipping (which they make you pay for). Makes no sense whatsoever.

Doug

Here is a link to that thread, in all its ugliness.  There has been other horror stories on SMC.  

John
(11-05-2018, 11:13 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Here is a link to that thread, in all its ugliness.  There has been other horror stories on SMC.  

John

Yeah, reading over the original thread, and some of the comments SCM made back to the customer, my blood pressure went up a few points, yet again. They were basically threatening him if he chose to return the machine, truly despicable behavior IMO.

Would never consider buying anything from them. That sales rep "Sam" (same guy mentioned earlier in this thread in glowing terms) was totally useless. True horror story!

Doug
Thanks for all of the input. Righ5 now I am leaning towards the hammer k3 78x48. I just really don’t trust the Minimax delivery experience. Also the 65 slider seam a little short and the 90 just a little to long to fit in the shop. The only other unit is the 10” griz g0623x. I don’t think it’s in the same class quality wise. But a lot less money. I don’t want a saw that I have to adjust a lot after set up.
Thanks
Gary
(11-06-2018, 08:29 PM)garmar60 Wrote: Thanks for all of the input.  Righ5 now I am leaning towards the hammer k3  78x48.  I just really don’t trust the Minimax delivery experience. Also the 65 slider seam a little short and the 90 just a little to long to fit in the shop.  The only other unit is the 10” griz g0623x. I don’t think it’s in the same class quality wise. But a lot less money. I don’t want a saw that I have to adjust a lot after set up.
Thanks
Gary

Check with your local Hammer distribution center to see if they have what you want on hand. If they don't, it can take 16 weeks to get one in. They're all made is Austria, all made to order. I know the Delaware warehouse is out of stock on the 78x48 right now, but they're expecting several over the course of December-February.
Jason

(11-03-2018, 08:34 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Gary, I have the Hammer K3 with the 49" slider. I only work with solid wood, and this is a good size in my workshop. I am very happy with the machine as it has been reliable and the support from the local Felder agents has been fantastic. The latter aspect may vary from location to location.

What I have learned about both Felder and SCMs that the machines begin with a base model, and then there are add-ons, which obviously cost more. In the case of the K3, there are a lot of options available, few of which I was interested in, but still the final cost was more than I expected going in. Blades cost more as well, partly because they use a Euro fitting, which is a 30mm arbor, and there are slots in the blade for the brake. The brake works very well, I might add. There are a number of plusses about the K3 for me, and I would get it again.

The difficulty in answering your question is that there are few around who have used all the machines available. It is also likely that there are more hobby woodworkers, such as myself, who use Hammer because Felder market more actively than does SCM. If one goes with the stories on the fori, there are a lot more horror stories about SCM's poor follow up service than from Felder. At the same time, the impression I get is that the SCM machines are overall more heavily built than those from Felder/Hammer. I cannot say whether this is really so (I lack the contact), however the build quality of Hammer is really excellent and far more robust than anyone really needs. All else is overkill in my view. I have three Hammer machines - the K3 slider, N4400 bandsaw, and A3-31 jointer/planer-thicknesser. The K3 is now 12 months old, but I have had the bandsaw for about 7 years. There were other generic machines in the decades before these, and Hammer really stands out. So choose what you prefer - either Hammer or SCM will more than satisfy if they are running well from the outset. It is backup service that separates the companies.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, did you get the dado tooling setup on your saw? I know the heads are crazy expensive ($800US for the 8-19.5mm head).
Jason

Hi Jason

When I ordered my K3, I expected the same longish wait as everyone else. A couple of weeks later, the local Felder agent contacted me to offer two machines, both brand new, where orders had been cancelled or something. One was the machine I purchased, but it came with the dado head. The cost this pushed the total over my budget, and it was removed and the sales price reduced. When the saw was delivered, the agent handed me the dado head connection and said it was a gift. No blade, however. The connection is not where the cost lies - it is the blade ... that is the expense. I do not plan to buy one.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Hammer

If I ever get rich I will replace my table saw with one and even a bandsaw to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-07-2018, 07:00 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hi Jason

When I ordered my K3, I expected the same longish wait as everyone else. A couple of weeks later, the local Felder agent contacted me to offer two machines, both brand new, where orders had been cancelled or something. One was the machine I purchased, but it came with the dado head. The cost this pushed the total over my budget, and it was removed and the sales price reduced. When the saw was delivered, the agent handed me the dado head connection and said it was a gift. No blade, however. The connection is not where the cost lies - it is the blade ... that is the expense. I do not plan to buy one.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hi Jason,
I also have the Hammer K3 48x48...  Forrest Tools in New Jersey sells a dado head that is much less expensive and fits the Hammer/Felder machines.  
Have fun!
Izzy
Well, I did it. Ordered the hammer 78x48. Now I hope I can find a way to fit it in the shop. Will need to sell my griz 1023 soon and make base for the hammer. Or maybe get the griz super duty base with the long rails
Th@nks for all the input
Gary