Making the DC a little easier to use
My Dust Collector is just a generic 2 hp machine which I have had for about 10 years. It is linked to a dust separator (Super Dust Deputy), which does a decent job, and most of the dust is collected in the steel bin. The whole arrangement is due for upgrade at some time (I'd like a dedicated cyclone), but until then I have made a couple of mods to make it less of an irritation to use.

[Image: DC1a.jpg]

The first mod I made some while back was to connect the SDD to a chain attached to the ceiling ...

[Image: DC2a.jpg]

This made it easier to unclip the lid when it was time to empty the bin. It just hangs around, as they say ...

[Image: DC3a.jpg]

But by far the biggest irritation was having to replace the plastic bag. This would fill when I forgot to empty the steel bin. The next thing I knew, the bloody bag was full and it needed to be replaced! That involved unstrapping the bag, and refitting another. It was a little easier to hold in place by first taping it down, then adding more tape to seal the connection, and finally attaching the steel strap. 

I really hated this procedure, and finally hit on a simple way to make changes easier.

What I wanted to do was use a second steel bin in place of the plastic bag, which I had already, but I could not think of a way to connect it efficiently. Then the simplest solution finally percolated through my skull ... use the plastic bag!

First step is to add a gasket (door sealer) to the edge of the bin ...

[Image: DC4a.jpg]

Then cut off the bottom of the bag, tuck it over the bin, and use the clamp to seal it up ...

[Image: DC5a.jpg]

[Image: DC6a.jpg]

This is what it looks like with the DC running ...

[Image: DC7a.jpg]

It is early days, and I have not yet experienced any problems. Any dust that does get into the DC bin is easy to see through the clear plastic. Now I need to do something about keeping an eye on the dust collecting in the DSS bin. Any ideas?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I have used a clear sight glass on our old barrel and that really did not work that well.
It would cloud over and always look full due to static. You can drill a hole in the top of the drum and make a plunger type thing kind of like the ram on a grease gun. Maybe use a tractor pin or other clip to hold it up until you need to check the level.

Then release it and tamp down to see how much material is in the drum. Then pull up and secure again.
Lee
I had the same problems you are having.  It's going to be a mess when that second can fills up and you have to take the plastic bag off.  I live in the country and I finally just sent mine out through the wall because I wasn't ever going to remember to empty it.
RP
Derek,

I have a close friend who is an electronics engineer. When I built my D/C system, he designed and built for me a circuit that incorporates a photoelectric cell to monitor the chip bin. When the bin fills, the chips interrupt the light beam and the cyclone shuts off automatically. I stop what I'm doing at that point and empty the bin. It works like a charm. I have the schematic diagram for the circuit that I'd be happy to send you. You could adapt it to your system. Mine also incorporates switches at each blast gate that control the cyclone. If I open a blast gate, the cyclone goes on. It shuts off when I close the gate - all part of the same circuit. I don't think it would be hard to isolate the photoelectric circuit from the rest.

Hank
Hank, that is a good idea and very kind of you. I hesitate simply because I know too little about electrics, but am aware that the USA and Oz use different power supplies. I will check with others locally and find out more. I may be back in touch with you.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Mine all goes outside. No bags or barrels to empty. And no, I don't notice any heat or a/c loss.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020