Picked up a Domino 700
Big Grin 
Not sure it's a gloat, but since I won't buy new Festool products (my own private protest against their marketing program, just MHO) I had been keeping an eye out for a used Domino. I have the smaller one (bought used) but have a couple of things coming up where the larger tenons would be useful. Anyway, Yesterday on CL, I spotted this machine and the tenon set and the fellow wanted $1350. The ad claimed the tool had only been used on one project, and was missing 10 tenons from the set (I think). This stuff would be a little over $1800 if purchased new, so I thought I'd give him a call. He still had it, even agreed to meet me close to 1/2 way (it was 60 miles away). So it's now in my shop, and I'd say judging from the appearance he was truthful about it's limited use....if not for some wood chips in the case you wouldn't know it had been used at all.

Attached Files Image(s)

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nice. Welcome to the used festool club.

I have the 500 I bought also used and like it. I let a guy in my ww club borrow it and he wrecked my new 5mm cutter. He is a retiree and a vet so ill just shut up and buy a new cutter and move on.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Better than paying full price, Fred, and I'm sure you'll like it, but it's still over priced by at least 2X IMHO.  

John
(11-04-2018, 07:13 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Better than paying full price, Fred, and I'm sure you'll like it, but it's still over priced by at least 2X IMHO.  

John

I do agree with that. The largest tenons are even more ridiculous, almost $1 each. Typical Festool pricing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-05-2018, 06:26 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I do agree with that. The largest tenons are even more ridiculous, almost $1 each.  Typical Festool pricing.
Buy them from Amazon Germany for almost 1/2 the  cost.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(11-05-2018, 10:58 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: Buy them from Amazon Germany for almost 1/2 the  cost.

Or make your own for almost nothing.  That's exactly what I do for all the loose tenons I use.  

John
(11-05-2018, 11:07 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Or make your own for almost nothing.  That's exactly what I do for all the loose tenons I use.  

John

That's the plan.
(11-05-2018, 11:07 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Or make your own for almost nothing.  That's exactly what I do for all the loose tenons I use.  

John

The other option is to buy the assortments from Europe, sell the Systainer and cutters and get them for less than free.

Two years ago I bought 5 of each of the 3 assortments and sold 9 of the Systainers and 12 sets of cutters.  I ended up with all 15 assortments of Dominos, 6 Systainers (2 for each size assortment) and 2 full sets of cutters for both the 500 and 700 and it cost me less than $120 after the sales.  If I had just kept 3 Systainers instead of 6 I would have made money.   Festool is so easy and quick to sell it took me far less time to sell them than even beginning to make all those tenons.
Where did you buy them from?
(11-05-2018, 01:32 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Where did you buy them from?

The place I bought from got their hand slapped by Festool so they quit selling internationally, Amazon.de carries them for about the same price as I paid.  I have used Amazon.de since and had good luck.  The only issue with Amazon is they go in and out of stock with the 500 assortment all the time but the 700 assortments are usually in stock.  Oddly enough currently the 500 assortment is in stock and the 2 700 assortments are OOS currently.