Downsizing a bit, thoughts on a replacement saw
I haven't been doing as much woodworking as I had in the past.  Partly because we have a house full of furniture and my shop/garage has always been on the smaller side with a bunch of pretty large tools so space is at a premium.

Then the bike bug bit.  My dear wife finally relented and I got a fairly large scooter (Honda Silverwing), followed in succession by a Can Am Spyder and now a Vulcan 500.  I managed to fit them all in the garage by selling off my metal lathe and mill which were also not being used and shifting wood storage to the attic and moving the big workbench I built a while back.  And it actually works well, if I do need space, I back one or more of the bikes outside and I have plenty.

I still have some fairly large woodworking tools, all are older machines that I bought cheap when I was sliding down the slippery slope and made whole again.  One in particular is a Delta 12/14 which for those unfamiliar, is like a Unisaw on lots of steroids.  It is a beast of a machine, and lately its been much more "Table" than "Saw".   So I put an ad up over on OWWM to test the waters and I have a guy that wants it.  That will free up some more needed space and has got me thinking about what if anything to replace it with.

I've had a table saw for as long as I can remember.  Started with a Sears contractor style, then got a new Unisaw and then the 12/14 about ten years ago.  I have plenty of other saws to use, a couple of bandsaws large and small, RAS, miter saw on a rolling stand and even a Festool track saw.  So I could probably get away without replacing it at all.  But I'm not sure I want to.  My current thinking is on getting one of the portable saws with the folding stands and either keep it in the garage on the side or out in the shed with the miter saw.  I want the footprint to be on the smaller side, so I don't loose the newly gained space.  And I'd like a saw with a riving knife and some decent dust collection as well.

So if anyone has some thoughts on the subject and recommendations for a smallish replacement, I'm all ears.   Here's what the shop/garage currently looks like:

[Image: rlajwqN.jpg]
Well my first thought is that you are challenging the old axiom that one can't have too many toys. 
Big Grin

As for the TS; Do you think you would be happy going back to using a lesser saw (smaller, less power)?  Or do you think it would be just as easy to make the complete transition to a TS-less shop?  As you stated, you have plenty of other tools that could serve most of the purposes of a TS.  I know that would be a tough call for me.  If I was used to using a really nice, big, powerful saw and went to a smaller, portable saw, I imagine I would regret it every time I used it.  However, in the interests of making room, I think I could eventually get used to substituting other tools to perform the tasks of the TS and just do without altogether.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I’d look for an inexpensive and lightweight unit from Bosch or Dewalt this Black Friday.
If you want to test the waters for a smaller saw, you could try one of those circular saw mounted upside down setups (or build your own). It will give you an idea of whether you will like that size of saw before you let go of the beast you have.
(11-05-2018, 08:12 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Well my first thought is that you are challenging the old axiom that one can't have too many toys. 
Big Grin

As for the TS; Do you think you would be happy going back to using a lesser saw (smaller, less power)?  Or do you think it would be just as easy to make the complete transition to a TS-less shop?  As you stated, you have plenty of other tools that could serve most of the purposes of a TS.  I know that would be a tough call for me.  If I was used to using a really nice, big, powerful saw and went to a smaller, portable saw, I imagine I would regret it every time I used it.  However, in the interests of making room, I think I could eventually get used to substituting other tools to perform the tasks of the TS and just do without altogether.

I've had lots of toys (tools) over the years, and if I don't really use em, I tend to sell em off.  I could probably go without a TS, but some things are just flat out easier/better on a table saw.  And from what I have been reading, the newer saws are way better than even the stuff that was out ten years ago.  

(11-05-2018, 08:22 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: I’d look for an inexpensive and lightweight unit from Bosch or Dewalt this Black Friday.

Absolutely the best time to be buying...  I tend to favor Bosch stuff, but the newer Skillsaw model has good reviews as well.  

(11-05-2018, 09:37 AM)stav Wrote: If you want to test the waters for a smaller saw, you could try one of those circular saw mounted upside down setups (or build your own). It will give you an idea of whether you will like that size of saw before you let go of the beast you have.

Like the old Hirsch saw table idea?  No thanks, I'm not that desperate.
[Image: IMG_0937_zpsf3c8b686.jpg]
I was happy with a Ryobi BT3000 for years.  I really liked the sliding table.  Then it got so I couldn't get it to tighten up, and I wasn't as happy.  I replaced it with a PM66.  Size-wise, it's a pain.  I mostly make small stuff anyway.  We have too much furniture.  

If I had to do it all again, I would think seriously about the SawStop contractor saw. I have used one, and it's a really nice saw.  Might still be too big for you though.
I'm cramped some with the metal lathe and milling machine and the table saw- all which take considerable room, but I would add on to the shop before I'd get rid of any of them.

There are plenty of guys here that will help you design an additional 25x40 shop.
Laugh
I'd get rid of two of those bikes and keep the 12/14.  Simple as that.  If that won't fly, put up a pop up shed and keep all the bikes in that.  A jobsite saw is never going to work as well as that 12/14, and would be a never ending regret for me if I made the change.  

John
(11-05-2018, 09:58 AM)EricU Wrote: I was happy with a Ryobi BT3000 for years.  I really liked the sliding table.  Then it got so I couldn't get it to tighten up, and I wasn't as happy.  I replaced it with a PM66.  Size-wise, it's a pain.  I mostly make small stuff anyway.  We have too much furniture.  

If I had to do it all again, I would think seriously about the SawStop contractor saw. I have used one, and it's a really nice saw.  Might still be too big for you though.

A contractor saw would be bigger than what I want, and I couldnt move it around nearly as easy.   I always thought the design of the BT3K was neat with the slider though.

(11-05-2018, 10:20 AM)daddo Wrote: I'm cramped some with the metal lathe and milling machine and the table saw- all which take considerable room, but I would add on to the shop before I'd get rid of any of them.

There are plenty of guys here that will help you design an additional 25x40 shop.
Laugh

You can only add on if you have the space(land) to do it.   Moving isn't in the cards just yet, though we are thinking about it down the road.

(11-05-2018, 11:06 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I'd get rid of two of those bikes and keep the 12/14.  Simple as that.  If that won't fly, put up a pop up shed and keep all the bikes in that.  A jobsite saw is never going to work as well as that 12/14, and would be a never ending regret for me if I made the change.  

John

You obviously don't ride or you would never consider such a thing....
Rolleyes

Seriously, I don't need or anticipate using the saw all that much, so keeping it just so I can pile stuff on it and maneuver around it is not what I want to keep doing.   My woodworking focus will probably be turning with a bit of flatwork when I need to, so smaller and simpler is fine for me.

I did take a ride over to both HD and Lowes over lunch, since the built two of them right next to each other and I had a looksee at both the Bosch and Dewalt.  I really liked the Bosch.    The Dewalt wasnt bad either, but I like the stand design on the Bosch better.   The Ridgid was in such bad shape it was hard to tell how anything on it worked and it was up on a shelf to boot.
Have you considered a track saw?