Downsizing a bit, thoughts on a replacement saw
(11-05-2018, 03:36 PM)BrentDH Wrote: Have you considered a track saw?

He mentioned that he had a Festool.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I may take some heat for this suggestion, but that's OK. I think I see in your picture a nice looking RS along the left wall. An RS was my first stationary power saw and I made lots of stuff using it over many years. I liked (like - still have it) it because it tucks nicely against the wall and doesn't take up lots of floor space. If, as you say, you are reducing the amount of work and will do mostly small stuff, and need the space, I think the RS is a good choice. I would stick with it and not worry about a smaller TS. At least you could try it for a while and see how it works out.
Since you're in to the old stuff. I'm willing to make you a heck of a deal on this beauty.

[Image: Gamw2O8.jpg]
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(11-06-2018, 12:40 PM)Willyou Wrote: I may take some heat for this suggestion, but that's OK. I think I see in your picture a nice looking RS along the left wall. An RS  was my first stationary power saw and I made lots of stuff using it over many years. I liked (like - still have it) it because it tucks nicely against the wall and doesn't take up lots of floor space. If, as you say, you are reducing the amount of work and will do mostly small stuff, and need the space, I think the RS is a good choice. I would stick with it and not worry about a smaller TS. At least you could try it for a while and see how it works out.

I do like my RAS,  it's a Delta 30c.  It's great for crosscutting.  I don't think I would try ripping on it though.  Just the logistics of how its mounted and then pivoting the head and locking everything down would be more than interesting.  I can rip on the large bandsaw and I do fairly often.  The table is pretty high and the location of the saw does limit the length of what I can run through it, but it does pretty good overall.  Cut quality is OK, not super smooth, but that is more a function of the blade then anything else.

[Image: Qw6OsZy.jpg]

(11-06-2018, 01:20 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Since you're in to the old stuff. I'm willing to make you a heck of a deal on this beauty.

[Image: Gamw2O8.jpg]

Boy, I like challenges, but that one may be a bit much.
When it was my only stationary saw, I did a lot of ripping. Just used lots of care with hold-downs, brought the blade guard down close to the work, and used a long push stick. It did just fine and I made lots of stuff. Even today, I will occasionally rip something if I have the table saw set up for something I don't want to change. It can be a bit intimidating, but does the job. If you are now doing mostly small stuff, maybe the space on each side is not so important.
You have a beautifully restored saw there. Did you do it? Love your set-up.
Well, FWIW, I'd never give up my Unisaw unless I had no real choice.  In my last house, my garage was my shop, and also where I parked my car, so I built a work bench against the wall that was just high enough to slip the Unisaw under for storage.  No blade guard, and the post in the back removed so it could sit flat to the wall, but it would tuck in there snugly.  Stuff under the side table, which was (still is) the long one, and I used the square Delta mobile base with the caster wheel in the front.  So much stuff under the table that I had to be very careful to slip that puppy in there just-so, with the outboard legs sliding into a slot in the 'stuff'. 

So in the end, it actually took up very little space, though certainly more than a plastic body portable saw with folding base, of course.

I have no useful comment about what plastic body portable saw with folding base you'd be best off with, though.  
Slap
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(11-06-2018, 08:48 PM)Willyou Wrote: When it was my only stationary saw, I did a lot of ripping. Just used lots of care with hold-downs, brought the blade guard down close to the work, and used a long push stick. It did just fine and I made lots of stuff. Even today, I will occasionally rip something if I have the table saw set up for something I don't want to change. It can be a bit intimidating, but does the job. If you are now doing mostly small stuff, maybe the space on each side is not so important.
You have a beautifully restored saw there. Did you do it? Love your set-up.

Thanks.  Yes I did the restore and a bunch of others as well.  I was well down the slippery slope with finding old machines and doing the teardowns and restores.  I haven't done one in a few years now, mostly because I ran out of room for them and had everything I really needed.  I did buy a couple of machines to flip but nothing on the level of what I put in to the keepers.

(11-07-2018, 10:45 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Well, FWIW, I'd never give up my Unisaw unless I had no real choice.  In my last house, my garage was my shop, and also where I parked my car, so I built a work bench against the wall that was just high enough to slip the Unisaw under for storage.  No blade guard, and the post in the back removed so it could sit flat to the wall, but it would tuck in there snugly.  Stuff under the side table, which was (still is) the long one, and I used the square Delta mobile base with the caster wheel in the front.  So much stuff under the table that I had to be very careful to slip that puppy in there just-so, with the outboard legs sliding into a slot in the 'stuff'. 

So in the end, it actually took up very little space, though certainly more than a plastic body portable saw with folding base, of course.

I have no useful comment about what plastic body portable saw with folding base you'd be best off with, though.  
Slap

If we ever move, and I can get a decent sized shop out of the deal, I would probably get something more substantial like a Uni or PM66.  But right now, the biggest luxury I can have is some extra space and a full sized saw just won't help with that.

I may try and go without or just keep an eye on the local CL and wait for something to pop up.  And I do understand the feelings about the plastic body saws, although I can tell you that after playing with them in the store, that there is some decent engineering in them and that the controls operated smoothly and the fences, although pretty short, locked tight and seemed to be square with the blade.   So I'm still on the fence about it, but do appreciate all the comments.
EvilTwin,
I sent you a PM.