Popular Woodworking magazine
(11-14-2018, 12:08 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: Am I missing something, or is it not even possible any more to see what the current issue of PopWW is? I went to their web site to see who the furniture maker is that Simon mentioned above, and I can't find the magazine anywhere. There is a subscribe option, but nothing to indicate what is in the current issue or even what is on the cover.

PW is screwing up their prior success; lost cause, I have no idea what their market is, or what they think it is.  In publishing, you have to differentiate yourself in terms of at least appearing to add value in the eyes of the readership, and they are failing, out of ignorance or arrogance.  They lost me for sure.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm another subscriber about to be an unsubscriber. I had my mind made up but if I hadn't, this issue would have pushed me that way. The editor's column was so apologetic and over-justifying it just depressed me. (Why would an editor explain content choices to the readers?) The content overall was simplistic. And how hard would it have been for the table on p. 34 to be the same table shown in the contents? Sincere best of luck to the contributors, but I'm out.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-14-2018, 08:53 PM)Aram Wrote: . And how hard would it have been for the table on p. 34 to be the same table shown in the contents? Sincere best of luck to the contributors, but I'm out.

Table on P. 34? Were you looking at the October issue? The Dec. issue features a different project on that page.

Simon
(11-15-2018, 11:51 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Table on P. 34? Were you looking at the October issue? The Dec. issue features a different project on that page.

Simon

Oh. November. #242.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
This thread gonna last longer than PWW!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(11-16-2018, 05:20 AM)Tony Z Wrote: This thread gonna last longer than PWW!

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

If F&W decides to move away from traditional woodworking, it should consider revitalizing American Woodworker, and putting PW in hibernation.

Simon
It could be worse....could turn into another "Family Handyman" type of magazine....

IF I happen to glance through  at the book section at Wall E World ( waiting on the Boss) and see anything that catches my eye....I might stand there and read it...until the Boss finds me....then back into the rack it goes....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(11-16-2018, 11:46 AM)bandit571 Wrote: It could be worse....could turn into another "Family Handyman" type of magazine....

Family Handyman seems to be a successful publication with a 1 million circulation record (2013).

Simon
(11-16-2018, 11:46 AM)bandit571 Wrote: It could be worse....could turn into another "Family Handyman" type of magazine....

IF I happen to glance through  at the book section at Wall E World ( waiting on the Boss) and see anything that catches my eye....I might stand there and read it...until the Boss finds me....then back into the rack it goes....

After receiving the latest issue of Wood magazine, the similarities between the two are uncanny. If this is the case and F+W wants to turn Popular Woodworking into another Wood, then the bean counters must be in charge.
If anything, the decline of printed mags has had a very positive effect on woodworking books. I'm sure the decline of PWW was at least responsible for Lost Arts Press, with many fine publications (I personally like the Wearing and Hayward reprints). Go on Amazon, also, look for used copies of classics, often available for far less than a single year of a magazine.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com