Popular Woodworking magazine
(11-11-2018, 05:14 PM)Cian Wrote: I would love to move out of IL as well.  
Crazy

I feel your pain.
Unfortunately I am way too entrenched to pull that off.

Looks like we will suffer here together 
Sad
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
I quit the printed subscription a year or two ago but the electronic version has continued. I must have re-upped although I do not remember so doing, I now get the mag via Zinio which is really awful as a platform. The PDFs were much better, IMO. Anyway, I've dropped all but Fine Woodworking which keeps auto-renewing before I remember to end it. I guess I do not mind enough to call and cancel.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I do not understand why any publisher or e-magazine or e-catalog would choose Zinio over PDF if the reader's interest is taken first. The cursor or mouse is counter-intuitive to use on that platform.

Simon
On another forum, there's a discussion of what Megan Fitzpatrick is up to these days (busy, is the short answer).  In passing, someone mentions that Popular Woodworking now is not what it was under Megan (Chris Schwarz gets thrown into the comment, too).

I've had mixed feelings about the issues of Pop Wood since Andrew Zoellner took over, but I remind myself that, when Megan first assumed the editorship, I had mixed feelings about what she was doing, too.  But she rapidly matured into a terrific leader of the magazine, and I was right sorry to see her move on.  I want to give Andrew a year or so before I decide on good or bad.
I stopped being a subscriber before the three "Musketeers" quit, and I was a subscriber because the deal was so cheap...but I did not find it good value during those two years of readership when compared to the then FW contents. 

But PW has gone downhill not after the new editor came in but long before it. When the ship has been sinking before a new captain is brought in, I wouldn't blame the misfortune on the poor guy.

Simon
(11-22-2018, 02:00 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: On another forum, there's a discussion of what Megan Fitzpatrick is up to these days (busy, is the short answer).  In passing, someone mentions that Popular Woodworking now is not what it was under Megan (Chris Schwarz gets thrown into the comment, too).

I've had mixed feelings about the issues of Pop Wood since Andrew Zoellner took over, but I remind myself that, when Megan first assumed the editorship, I had mixed feelings about what she was doing, too.  But she rapidly matured into a terrific leader of the magazine, and I was right sorry to see her move on.  I want to give Andrew a year or so before I decide on good or bad.

Hi Bill;

I agree with your assessment.... but really, the original Woodworking was good, sometimes very good, and when it became Pop Wood it started downhill and nothing Chris or Megan or the three good guys did could stop the slide, can't blame anybody involved I think.... now or then....

Just my 2 cts....
Skip

But when it comes down to brass tacks, there are only so many times techniques can be regurgitated.

This is why, as I've posted previously, have started purchasing vintage woodworking books, or modern reprints.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(11-23-2018, 08:56 AM)Tony Z Wrote: But when it comes down to brass tacks, there are only so many times techniques can be regurgitated.  

Exactly, that is what is driving the demise of woodworking magazines (for the old readers or woodworkers). The woodworking magazines must target theirs at the new generation of woodworkers.

Simon
(11-23-2018, 12:14 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Exactly, that is what is driving the demise of woodworking magazines (for the old readers or woodworkers). The woodworking magazines must target theirs at the new generation of woodworkers.

Simon

I'm waiting with bated breath for PW to interview Ana White about her "farmhouse" line of furniture built with big box 2x material....... 
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-23-2018, 12:25 PM)Admiral Wrote: I'm waiting with bated breath for PW to interview Ana White about her "farmhouse" line of furniture built with big box 2x material....... 
Laugh
Now that's funny!
Skip