Popular Woodworking magazine
  Re: Popular Woodworking magazine by Mike Brady (I just received the ...)
The most recent one I got, sure was different.

That being said, I liked the Limbert hutch / standing-desk design.   And I liked the gallery of reader projects.

Even hand-tool-heavy magazines don't much correspond to how I do things.  E.g., my bench gets the heck smacked out of it all the time, plenty of metal work there along with wood work, and I don't see building myself a handsome bench any time soon.   We'll see how they do!

Chris
Chris
  Re: RE: Popular Woodworking magazine by Skip J. ([quote='Ray Newman' ...)
(11-07-2018, 04:40 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Yes - I let mine run out awhile back, about when Megan left. I have "Hands Employed Aright" coming from LAP for Christmas - and can't wait to read it.  If it turns out to be worth it's price, I'll buy more of them...  it's been a very long time since I bought a new WW'ing book. Ten years or more.....

For what it's worth, the reason I am interested in the LAP book is because when it came out, they published the 1st chapter so I could get a sense of if I liked it before I bought it.  Who else does that for their customers in todays world????  And yes, I liked it.....

Between Chris and Megan's new publishing ventures, we may all still be their customers for a long time to come... kinda like doing business with LV and LN...

Hey Skip,
That book is really worth the money...very inspirational.  I visited the home of Jonathan Fisher in Maine when Lie Nielsen had their open house this last summer and it made the book come alive for me...saw the house & tools he built...the workshop and all the historical evidence of his reign. He was a marvelous fellow that, I bet, you'll love knowing.  The underlying theme of this guys life, spending his time is evidenced in all his work.  Makes this subject of 'reading' rags have a much more potent impact...for me.
  Re: Popular Woodworking magazine by Mike Brady (I just received the ...)
(11-05-2018, 10:07 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: My copy came overwrapped with a cover that warned me that this was my second-to-last issue.  That timing will be just about right for my impending move to another state.....I probably won't bother with a change of address for Popular Woodworking magazine.

I would love to move out of IL as well.   Crazy
  Re: RE: Popular Woodworking magazine by DonSlaughter ([quote='Skip J.' pid...)
(11-10-2018, 04:36 PM)DonSlaughter Wrote: Hey Skip,
That book is really worth the money...very inspirational.  I visited the home of Jonathan Fisher in Maine when Lie Nielsen had their open house this last summer and it made the book come alive for me...saw the house & tools he built...the workshop and all the historical evidence of his reign. He was a marvelous fellow that, I bet, you'll love knowing.  The underlying theme of this guys life, spending his time is evidenced in all his work.  Makes this subject of 'reading' rags have a much more potent impact...for me.

Hi Don;

Yes - exactly, when I read the promo stuff written about it, I decided to jump back in and give books a try again. I think you have put it in words... I hope that I can be inspired to stop my working-all-the-time process for just a little while at Christmas, maybe a week between Christmas and new years - like I have done most of my life, certainly these later years  At this age I glad to have the work and to be able to stay busy, watching all these old guys around me falling beside the trail. But I get mentally tired a lot easier and I hope to get going again for the new year.

If I think it is worth the cost, I'll buy more LAP books in the future... they have some less expensive books too... don't need too many coffee table books lying around....

If the original Woodworking came back with the original crew, I would subscribe again, barring that, my magazine days are probably over.
Skip