Popular Woodworking magazine
(11-23-2018, 07:31 AM)Skip J. Wrote: Hi Bill;

I agree with your assessment.... but really, the original Woodworking was good, sometimes very good, and when it became Pop Wood it started downhill and nothing Chris or Megan or the three good guys did could stop the slide, can't blame anybody involved I think.... now or then....

Just my 2 cts....
I'm not sure which "Woodworking" magazine you mean - can you clarify?  Popular Woodworking's been around, under that title, for decades.  I may still have some issues from the 1970s up in the attic.  "Woodwork" was a great, if eccentric, magazine up to its demise.  "American Woodworking" was an excellent magazine some many years back, but it drifted downhill pretty dramatically in its later years, and I don't miss what it had become by the end.
(11-23-2018, 03:38 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I'm not sure which "Woodworking" magazine you mean - can you clarify?  Popular Woodworking's been around, under that title, for decades.  I may still have some issues from the 1970s up in the attic.  "Woodwork" was a great, if eccentric, magazine up to its demise.  "American Woodworking" was an excellent magazine some many years back, but it drifted downhill pretty dramatically in its later years, and I don't miss what it had become by the end.

He's referring to this one, it was a magazine produced by PW but a standalone publication, no advertisements, just pure content.  Later it merged into and with PW.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/produ...e-issue-1/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Ah.  I'd forgotten that one.  Already too many subscriptions coming to my mailbox, so I let it go.
(11-23-2018, 07:31 AM)Skip J. Wrote: Hi Bill;

I agree with your assessment.... but really, the original Woodworking was good, sometimes very good, and when it became Pop Wood it started downhill and nothing Chris or Megan or the three good guys did could stop the slide, can't blame anybody involved I think.... now or then....

Just my 2 cts....

Just to clarify, Popular Woodworking came first.  "Woodworking" magazine was an outgrowth of Popular Woodworking, focusing primarily on hand tool methods.  I really liked its format, sort of modeled after Cook's Magazine, with high quality matte paper, hand drawn illustrations, and no advertisements.  Elements of Woodworking were folded into Popular Woodworking.  Woodworking magazine only lasted a few years.  Popular Woodworking has been around a long time.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I like "Woodworking" and grab every copy I can find, even the PW issues that wrapped Woodworking articles into LV sponsored inserts. 

Regarding wood, per se, I find myself drawn to multiple variations in the realm of--who started the term "making", so appropriate. Furniture, construction, craft, staining, painting, intarsia, chip carving, relief, metal; the list goes on. I think the older Fine Woodworking format that included everything was my favorite. If space was not an issue I'd have built--and, still would--small boats. Today, I don't think any hardbound sources dare to grab such an encompassing genre. There are too many of "us purists" demanding a niche publication.

Better glitz and glamour sell magazines, but I found too many of FWW's articles peddling unnecessary or inappropriate construction techniques to satisfy a new advertiser's product, or worse, recycled student design in the same shtick. I didn't quite find a similar connect with PWW when it was under our favored leadership. 

R. I. P. PWW.
When I moved recently to Indy I disposed of every magazine except the vintage Woodworking mags that Chris Schwarz edited. I would buy Mortise and Tenon if it was not as much as a hardcover book.
So, my library had the new edition of FWW and I went to the Book Borg to get it. Only, they didn't have it yet, but they did have Pop Wood. I browsed it. Had a one-day build plywood traveling tool box on the cover. 

It sort of surprised me. Expecting the Sunday News Parade Magazine as intimated on this thread, PW still had the clean presentation of its older issues. I actually glimpsed the prostate ad for women--it was only a glance, and could have been for children, or men. There was actually some interesting insert material sponsored by Veritas. I actually felt guilty for not finding a reason to support PW and Veritas with a purchase.