some interesting sharpening info
https://www.knifeplanet.net/best-sharpening-stones/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

An interesting read! It provides a good overview and recommendations for several stones and types/brands. It seems the understated observation is that steel hardness influences the type of stones to use. 

Thanks for posting the link.
(11-09-2018, 11:59 AM)hbmcc Wrote: An interesting read! It provides a good overview and recommendations for several stones and types/brands. It seems the understated observation is that steel hardness influences the type of stones to use. 

Thanks for posting the link.

But it seemed to miss any discussion of edge shapes, sharpening techniques or how the stone choice effects blade shapes and vice versa. I would think the knife people would be more in tune with that.  Or did I misread it?
(11-09-2018, 04:13 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: But it seemed to miss any discussion of edge shapes, sharpening techniques or how the stone choice effects blade shapes and vice versa. I would think the knife people would be more in tune with that.  Or did I misread it?

I didn't want to trash mouth the kid to a pulp, in abstentia. He stuck to a couple points--types, grits, a few brands--and confirmed some of my impressions regarding sharpening. Like me, he salted confusion of one type over another throughout the article.

I could use a King stone, but diamonds are my Japanese chisels best friend. Most of my life was spent hacking Arkansas stones or Norton carborundum. They were far better than the bumpy ride on a peddled natural wheel my uncle told me to use for a scythe. 

I think the blog owner had his own branded set, but I don't know that it was mentioned.
(11-09-2018, 06:49 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I didn't want to trash mouth the kid to a pulp, in abstentia. He stuck to a couple points--types, grits, a few brands--and confirmed some of my impressions regarding sharpening. Like me, he salted confusion of one type over another throughout the article.

I could use a King stone, but diamonds are my Japanese chisels best friend. Most of my life was spent hacking Arkansas stones or Norton carborundum. They were far better than the bumpy ride on a peddled natural wheel my uncle told me to use for a scythe. 

I think the blog owner had his own branded set, but I don't know that it was mentioned.
Near the end of the article he says " However, it should also be noted that the rougher an edge is, the less sharp it is while, the more polished an edge is, the sharper it is", and I think it is true to a certain extent...but IME, the "lower the angle, the sharper the edge is," is even more important. Unfortunately, that edge wont last even a nano-second if the steel is not up to the challenge..so the angle has to fit the steel...and that's where the highly polished micro-bevel comes into it's own..How you get there is up to you....
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset