So How Mny Routers Do You Need?
(11-08-2018, 11:21 AM)HomerLee Wrote: One for each bit you have:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/emeraldliqui...0293860938

Three.  Table, hand and trim here.  only need more when there are more hands to use more than one at a time.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
13 at last count. One is a PC 7518 that needs a new speed control...which i bought but haven't installed yet because my other 7518 works fine
Big Grin
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
How many do you need? Always one more than you have!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
So far only three CNC routers. Not the cnc mills or lathes.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Question -- "How many routers do you need?"

Answer-- A fellow Woodworker would say "If you need to ask, you don't have enough."
Big Grin

I have five:
PC 7518 dedicate router table usage.
PC 690
PC 3101 laminate trimmer
PC 100 (Probably should sell/trade as it is only a 1/4" collet)
Dewalt plunge 682
Me I have three.  A PC 7518 which is the 3.5hp for the router table then I have a 2.5hp Hatatchi which is really nice to use but pretty big and an old Craftsman 1.75hp and it is very hard to raise and lower and adjust.

I would love to replace that one with a PC 890 or something similar that is easy to work and turn on/off and give the other one away to one of the guys.

Like others have said it is far easier to have two and not swap out the bits on one and do a lot of test pieces before using it again.  By that time we are to worn out and frustrated to get it done.

I can see how three handheld ones would be much nicer if it was a smaller 1hp or 1.25hp one to do smaller jobs instead of hauling out the biggies.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I think I have 3. Hitachi plunge router, my dad's makita plunge router, and my first router, a Craftsman. I made a holder for the craftsman to cut rabbits for guitar binding.  Need to replace that one with a better router.

Ignoring the guitar router, I think 3 is a good number.  Plunge, table, trim.

Seeing an auction like that makes me sad, who was the person that had all those tools? And they look like they were used too. Actually, the auctions that really make me sad are the estate auctions with a large number of unused tools. Too busy making the money to buy them with, I suppose.
(11-08-2018, 11:21 AM)HomerLee Wrote: One for each bit you have:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/emeraldliqui...0293860938
,,,,,,,,,,, ten
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have 7.  5 of them are dedicated; 2 in a table, 1 for box joints, 1 (palm router) with a 1/8" roundover and 1 (palm router) with a flush trim bit.  One is used for general purpose, free hand routing, not covered by one of the dedicated routers and the last one is an old B&D that I picked up cheap at the flea market a couple months ago.  Haven't used it for anything, yet.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?