Dust Collector Upgrade
I have a Penn State DC-250, 2 1/2 HP double-bag dust collector running on 220v that has served me well for 15+ years now. It's never given me a minute's trouble but I'm thinking it's time to consider an upgrade. I would like to replace the top bag with one of those filter units to hopefully hold down the dust and replace the bottom bag with a can of some sort that will have a plastic bag liner for convenience in dumping. This unit is located in the back corner of my garage, which is contiguous to my separate shop area. A 6" pipe run from the shop connects to the collector.

I also plan to add one of those Thein style separators. I found this Grizzly canister online and will have to check the diameter on my DC to see if it will fit. Comments, thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Doug
That was my first DC, and it was a good one. I replaced the top bag with an AFF oversized bag, and it increased air flow enough that you could actually feel the difference. So I think the upgrade to the filter will be a very good addition, as will the Thein. If the Grizzly doesn't look like a fit, check Wynn Filters, they probably have one. I should mention: my DC250 came with 2.5 micron bags, the upgrade really made a difference in the fine coating of dust that accumulated on undisturbed surfaces. I wished I had upgraded sooner just for that reason.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
A Thien baffle is a good idea to keep a cartridge filter from accumulating dust too quickly.  I would recommend the type where you simply add the baffle to the inside of the existing collector so it prevents scrubbing out dust already collected, without taking up any extra space or costing any significant airflow.

The cartridges from Wynn Environmental are good.
I agree. Last year, I upgraded my 220v, 2hp Grizzly with a Wynn filter and Thien baffle. It made a big difference in airflow and reduced dust in the shop.
John
Been looking to upgrade mine too.. and was looking at the Wynn

I like the idea of the flappers.. do they really work? Does Wynn have anything similar?

And the under bag.. is there anyone that makes some sort of trashcan adapter?
(11-08-2018, 06:35 PM)jstraw Wrote: I agree.  Last year, I upgraded my 220v, 2hp Grizzly with a Wynn filter and Thein baffle.  It made a big difference in airflow and reduced dust in the shop.

I have the same collector and added the Wynn filter.  Does the baffle make that much of a difference?
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
If you have a separator before the collector, then the baffle doesn’t add that much. If you don’t, then the baffle helps keep the filter cleaner which allows better air flow and longer time between filter cleanings.

Fine Woodworking had a great article several years ago that explains the advantages and how to make one.
John
I called Wynn Environmental today and was connected to "Dick Wynn." Didn't ask but I assume he was the "man." Had a nice discussion with him. One of the main differences in his canister filter and the one I referenced above from Grizzly is that the Griz has flappers that will clean the inside of the filter. I don't think the Wynn has that feature.

I plan to put either a Thien style separator or a Dust Deputy between the the main DC line and the collector, thus catching most of the dust before it actually gets to the DC. BTW, I'll measure tomorrow but it looks like the Grizzly unit will fit over the metal ring on my Penn State DC without any modification (fingers crossed). According to Dick Wynn if I buy his unit I'll have to make an MDF "doughnut" as he called it, to adapt his filter to my unit. I'd rather not do that if it can be avoided with the Grizzly unit.

I know  someone has to sell the clear plastic bags to replace the lower fabric bag. Just have to find a source.

Doug
From what I've seen, I wouldn't count on the flapper helping much. When the dust packs in the folds of the filter, it's in the crevices where the flapper doesn't reach. Just my opinion, maybe someone who has used one and then looked at their filter can comment. But I'd bet that blowing into the filter with an air gun from the ourside will loosen just as much dust.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-09-2018, 06:25 AM)fredhargis Wrote: From what I've seen, I wouldn't count on the flapper helping much. When the dust packs in the folds of the filter, it's in the crevices where the flapper doesn't reach. Just my opinion, maybe someone who has used one and then looked at their filter can comment. But I'd bet that blowing into the filter with an air gun from the ourside will loosen just as much dust.

Get an electric leaf blower and blow from the outside.  No reason to remove the filter.  However, make sure you put you intake outside or cap it.  The dust will blow by the motor housing, etc. and fill your shop with that wonderful ultra fine dust!  Wynn has never recommended flaps of any kind due to the abrasive nature of them.