Chess Table Progress: based is finished!
Gents, for the last decade (!) you've been helping me with various aspects of this whole project.  Well, the base is now finished.  The white wood is satinwood, taking from the same log as the board and pieces.  The base is paduak, with the drawer face trim being ebonized walnut.  As a 'teaser', take a look at the paduak that will form the table edge around the board.

By the way, I have choice I'd like you to weigh in one.  The frametop for the board will (in the current plan), be made from the boards in the last picture and it's very curly and very red.  The boards used for the base come from a different tree.  No curl, much orangier--you can see this as the drawer front is freshly planed and shows the orangier color. I am inclined to the redder for the top because curl and beauty, and MAYBE use a garnet shellac on the orangier base to pull it in line.

I do have more of the orangier paduak, but only as 8+" wide 12/4 huge boards.  Seems a real waste to cut those up for something where the thickness is not needed, especially given how extremely difficult and VERY expensive it is not to find 12/4 paduak in wide quartersawn planks.  Thoughts?  By the way, the base looks mismatched now, but that's just age.  Before hauing into the house, it'll get a good all over sanding to even the color, then either shellac and laquer, or tung-oil, shellac wash coat, and laquer.

[Image: 2fe9d350-8b85-46fd-8955-d3cb2f59c9c1-ori...fit=bounds]

[Image: a03cc02c-a583-4733-bc37-67bfdb7d5c19-ori...fit=bounds]

[Image: a21db474-9c45-4fd3-b2af-3aeefbbdfde0-ori...fit=bounds]

[Image: c34ef28f-bccb-4ddf-a71c-ba45a1b5a8eb-ori...fit=bounds]
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Holy chit that looks nice! Personally, I would use the curly wood for the top.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-10-2018, 06:55 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Holy chit that looks nice! Personally, I would use the curly wood for the top.

Yeah...once it's been pulled from the wood shed, it's hard to put it back.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

WOW! I was under the assumption that this was a small chess base, not a standing piece of fine furniture! Awesome!
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Wow, indeed.  Is the same table with the drawer that wouldn't fit square to the opening?  If so, how did you resolve the problem.  

John
(11-10-2018, 01:44 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Wow, indeed.  Is the same table with the drawer that wouldn't fit square to the opening?  If so, how did you resolve the problem.  

John

If it is the shown drawer, holding the pieces, that certainly is a nice save! It looks like a secondary wood shim and applied  primary front. Can hardly see the fix, and looks great! Thanks for sharing.
(11-10-2018, 04:25 PM)hbmcc Wrote: If it is the shown drawer, holding the pieces, that certainly is a nice save! It looks like a secondary wood shim and applied  primary front. Can hardly see the fix, and looks great! Thanks for sharing.

That would be it, and it was fellow woodnetters told me the trick!