10 inch wet grinder reccommendations?
I'm getting the itch to buy a 10 inch wet grinder.  Tormek a beautiful machine but to rich for my blood. I've seen the grizzly on sale for 129 bucks. I'm willing to pay more if need be, but not Tormek prices.  Any recommendations or opinions appreciated.  I'd use it for knives and general woodworking. 
Yes
(11-16-2018, 07:16 AM)Ricky Wrote: I'm getting the itch to buy a 10 inch wet grinder.  Tormek a beautiful machine but to rich for my blood. I've seen the grizzly on sale for 129 bucks. I'm willing to pay more if need be, but not Tormek prices.  Any recommendations or opinions appreciated.  I'd use it for knives and general woodworking. 
Yes

I have both the 10" Jet and the 8" Tormek, but what I use way more often is a belt grinder, of which I have several, including the large Grizzly...Much better for knife making IMO...Plus having to deal with the mess the water creates is a "put-off" to me...Abrasive belts don't create nearly as much heat as a dry bench grinder and it is harder to blue the steel, and they are available in many different grits and even a leather stropping belt for the final edge...The little HF 1"X30" belt grinder at less than 50 bucks is one of the best buys on the market in the opinion of many.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-16-2018, 07:16 AM)Ricky Wrote: I'm getting the itch to buy a 10 inch wet grinder.  Tormek a beautiful machine but to rich for my blood. I've seen the grizzly on sale for 129 bucks. I'm willing to pay more if need be, but not Tormek prices.  Any recommendations or opinions appreciated.  I'd use it for knives and general woodworking. 
Yes

I don't have the Tormek but do have the Grizzly 10" and also had another cheap knock-off years ago. I also, have a Work Sharp 3000. They all have their pros and cons but I think the Grizzly is a steal at $119+sh. It is my first choice for wide plane blades, scissors, lathe tools, pocket and kitchen knives. I prefer to use the Work Sharp for chisels and standard/narrow plane blades but if I chose to use the Grizzly it is more than capable for those as well.

HTH 
Wink
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Yes

I have one of the Griz 10" and it mostly sees use as a power strop.  While it does work as a wet grinder I found the stone on mine to be extremely soft as compared to a friend's Tormek (2000 I think).  And it took a little faffing about to deal with some inaccuracies in the tool rest.  But that seldom gets moved for me so no big deal.  Frankly, I mostly free-hand with it anyway, wheels rotating away from me.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I have a Tormek (an oldie, the original) and a Jet clone from when they were being clearanced. The Jet has a lot of improvements over the original Tormek, some of which they included in later models. Anyway, You could stay with the Tormek and still not spend a fortune. Agter the Worksharp was introduced, Some Tormeks started sitting idle and the still come up for sale at very good prices. It might pay to watch for a used one, even if the stone has a little wear ( 9 1/2" or larger) it might still be a better deal. The other thing I would say i=s regardless of which grinder you get, stay with the Tormek jigs. I can compare mine to the ones Jet offered, and the Tormek are in a different class altogether. The good thing is you also see them show for sale at good prices.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks for the tips guys.  I might get one of them little HF belt sander and leather belts for knives. Seen youtube videos, nice tool for the price.
(11-16-2018, 02:36 PM)Ricky Wrote: Thanks for the tips guys.  I might get one of them little HF belt sander and leather belts for knives. Seen youtube videos, nice tool for the price.
Check out Youtube...there are lots of HF belt grinders in use for knife making and sharpening....IMO, it is the best thing they sell....and they sell tons of them. Their belts are cheaper also..I much prefer the Norton Ceramic belts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohYrM9QoJU

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-16-2018, 05:50 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ........................
Check out Youtube...there are lots of HF belt grinders in use for knife making and sharpening....IMO, it is the best thing they sell....and they sell tons of them. Their belts are cheaper also..I much prefer the Norton Ceramic belts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohYrM9QoJU

Thank you sir! Just bought one at harbor freight.  $42.38 bucks after the 20% discount.  I just have to order some belts now.  Norton ceramics ?  And leather for honing. Any advice on recommended grits and suppliers welcome.
Smile
Ricky, I don't know where you live, so this may be a useless post. There is a Tormek Supergrind 2000 for sale with jigs on the Greenville, SC Craigslist for $150.00.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/tls/d/...38872.html
(11-17-2018, 12:43 PM)Ricky Wrote: Thank you sir! Just bought one at harbor freight.  $42.38 bucks after the 20% discount.  I just have to order some belts now.  Norton ceramics ?  And leather for honing. Any advice on recommended grits and suppliers welcome.
Smile

Norton ceramics are probably the best belts out there but they are also the most expensive..They do stay sharp and last a long time tho..Supergrit is a good retailer and there are lots of good vendors on ebay..I have never been disappointed with any of them. And Amazon sells abrasive belts and leather strops at good prices.

I would order an assortment starting with 80 grit and going up to 600, but all coated abrasives "get finer" as they wear.......
Crazy
Big Grin You will need the fine grits for sharpening..and the leather for stropping..

Get off my lawn !
Upset