Coffin Smoother
So yesterday I was at an antique store and I found this Sargent Coffin Smoother. I've never tried a wooden smoother before. I bought it and thought that if I tuned it up, It might be fun to use it every now and then. I brought it home, did very little to it. Honed the blade and some minor flattening. I had no idea I would love this plane so much. It just feels incredible and it cuts like a dream! I think this could be one of my favorite planes...

Attached Files Image(s)

I have a Dutch coffin smoother I bought when I was in the Netherlands.  I should really hone the blade and see how it works.  Seems like reasonably good quality.  It has a double iron, so maybe it's one of the low quality ones.
(11-17-2018, 01:40 PM)EricU Wrote: I have a Dutch coffin smoother I bought when I was in the Netherlands.  I should really hone the blade and see how it works.  Seems like reasonably good quality.  It has a double iron, so maybe it's one of the low quality ones.

It ain't necessarily so!  Double irons are highly effective at smoothing when properly fetteled and sharpened.  I've made a couple at York pitch that work a charm.  Hock double blade.  Sole is Ipe, as is wedge and cross-pin.  Body is cherry.  Finish is TruOil.  

Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
That's beautiful!