Apologize if you have seen this, but what a saw!
https://www.facebook.com/MarvelousWoodwo...251460869/

The table saw/joiner/planer/molder is amazing! I would hate to think of the cost, but what a nice tool.

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
You can make it look as easy as you like swapping attachments, but it's just like the Shop Smith- a big painful hassle.

I like my power tools ready to go.
(11-17-2018, 03:54 PM)daddo Wrote: You can make it look as easy as you like swapping attachments, but it's just like the Shop Smith- a big painful hassle.

I like my power tools ready to go.

Agreed. The kind of combination machine looks easy to use, but they don't show you how painful it may be to install in a new cutter, replace a part, etc. Dialing also looks a joy to use until you open the manual to learn how to set up your machine, a manual that seemingly is written by aliens.

Simon
I can see that if you have $ and a small area to work.  I also like my machines ready to go.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(11-17-2018, 05:53 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Agreed. The kind of combination machine looks easy to use, but they don't show you how painful it may be to install in a new cutter, replace a part, etc. Dialing also looks a joy to use until you open the manual to learn how to set up your machine, a manual that seemingly is written by aliens.

Simon

Yeah, well, I'd take that machine any day.  I've been using J/P's for about 30 years and have no complaints.  If someone were to give me that beautiful Felder I'd be more than happy to put it to work, if only I had room and probably $20K if I had to pay for it.   Big sliding table saw, power feeder on the shaper.  Good grief, I'd have no excuse for more poor work.  

John
Free? Who wouldn't get it? It is a different story if you had to pay $$$ out of your own pocket.

Now, as we all know, great machines (as great as those Felder ones are) do not necessarily mean great work. Anyone who has watched Rough Cut (Fine Woodworking) knows Tommy (the new one) could produce the same quality results even if he were not using the Felder, which is sponsoring the show.

Simon
But like Shop Smith used to say in their commercials; "... the skill is built right into the machine."
(11-17-2018, 08:10 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote:  Anyone who has watched Rough Cut (Fine Woodworking) knows Tommy (the new one) could produce the same quality results even if he were not using the Felder, which is sponsoring the show.

Simon

The old Tommy could as well, even with just a saw or two, a couple of chisels and some hand planes.  

My view of combo machines is that they are great if you don't have the budget and/or space for equal quality/capacity separates.   

OP Felder also has an interesting video on building a bandsaw chair.  It is on their youtube channel which allows better quality video, especially if you are casting.
Too much hassle switching in between functions. It's bad enough when you f-up and have to go back to resurface and cut a new/replacement part with dedicated machines ... these all-in-one machines present a whole other level of PITA. If there is a choice I'll go with dedicated machines every single time. IMHO
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
it would ease some of the frustrations I have with the size of my shop, which often involves a lot of moving the joiner around so I can use more of the tablesaw. I don't even want to think about moving the bandsaw. It's out of the way right now, but I can't use it where it is.

I want a jointer/planer, but I probably will not get one anytime soon.