Simple Jewelry Box
My middle daughter's birthday is coming up, and she needs a little jewelry box.  (She recently got her ears pierced.)  I happen to have some nice looking wood that I salvaged from the drawer sides of an old dresser that was trashed not far from my house.  I think it's mahogany of some kind, but I'm not altogether sure.  The grain sure is pretty though, and the wood works really smoothly. 

[Image: 45878740132_b02d8736fc_z.jpg]

Since it's a small box, I decided to miter the corners.  I'll just glue and nail the carcass down to the base, which will give it plenty of rigidity.

[Image: 44112051860_3cdd5ded17_z.jpg][/url]

I've not used miters very much in the past, and I'm still teaching myself how to cut them.  Careful layout, careful sawing, and a sharp handplane to trim the saw cuts seems to be the way to go.

[Image: 44112053750_b80b697487_z.jpg]

The "tape trick" is one thing I've learned from woodworking magazines.  Just lay the mitered pieces end to end on pieces of tape, apply glue, and roll up your assembly.

[Image: 44112057380_457c533ef9_z.jpg]

It really does work well to keep everything lined up and tight while the glue dries. 

[Image: 30989377137_793cb31cff_z.jpg]

While the glue was drying, I made a couple dividers.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PdqDua][Image: 30989374837_67d6208a2f_z.jpg]

The long lap joint is really easy to cut.  I didn't even measure the depth--just go a little more than halfway through on each board, and everything fits. 

[Image: 30989379787_4d0a7b49a1_z.jpg]

A little bit of superglue on each end will keep the dividers in place. 

That's as far as I've gotten today.  Next time, we'll trim the top of the box so the miters look nice and flush, and we'll attach the top and bottom.  I also need to play around with some different finish options on some of the offcuts.  I want this grain to pop.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(11-17-2018, 05:17 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: My middle daughter's birthday is coming up, and she needs a little jewelry box.  (She recently got her ears pierced.)  I happen to have some nice looking wood that I salvaged from the drawer sides of an old dresser that was trashed not far from my house.  I think it's mahogany of some kind, but I'm not altogether sure.  The grain sure is pretty though, and the wood works really smoothly. 

[Image: 45878740132_b02d8736fc_z.jpg]

Since it's a small box, I decided to miter the corners.  I'll just glue and nail the carcass down to the base, which will give it plenty of rigidity.

[Image: 44112051860_3cdd5ded17_z.jpg][/url]

I've not used miters very much in the past, and I'm still teaching myself how to cut them.  Careful layout, careful sawing, and a sharp handplane to trim the saw cuts seems to be the way to go.

[Image: 44112053750_b80b697487_z.jpg]

The "tape trick" is one thing I've learned from woodworking magazines.  Just lay the mitered pieces end to end on pieces of tape, apply glue, and roll up your assembly.

[Image: 44112057380_457c533ef9_z.jpg]

It really does work well to keep everything lined up and tight while the glue dries. 

[Image: 30989377137_793cb31cff_z.jpg]

While the glue was drying, I made a couple dividers.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PdqDua][Image: 30989374837_67d6208a2f_z.jpg]

The long lap joint is really easy to cut.  I didn't even measure the depth--just go a little more than halfway through on each board, and everything fits. 

[Image: 30989379787_4d0a7b49a1_z.jpg]

A little bit of superglue on each end will keep the dividers in place. 

That's as far as I've gotten today.  Next time, we'll trim the top of the box so the miters look nice and flush, and we'll attach the top and bottom.  I also need to play around with some different finish options on some of the offcuts.  I want this grain to pop.

Looks like QS Sycamore ...
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
It could be, Ron. The reddish tint is just a stain, which I’ve now planed off. I’m dyeing it a red tint to bring out the figure. Whatever it is, it’s nice looking—which is what really counts at the moment.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I'm with Ron. Eastern woods aren't my forte', but I've always liked that figure, and have a block--probably, turning blank--simply for that figure. A popular hybrid of two sycamores, London Plane, has the same figure in a pinkish wood.