Recommendations for a Dado Blade?
Quote:Which Freud and tooth count would be a good place to start looking. I've haven't put a Dado on my DeWalt Jobsite Saw yet. But it's listed as accepting up to 13/16". So I figure it'll handle better under that since it seems like typical tools like that are usually rated at their struggling point. 

Freud dado selection

The big difference between the sets is the chippers -- the higher priced sets have 4-tooth chippers, the economy sets have two tooth chippers.

After my experience with a contractor saw and my 8" dado set I'd be very concerned about using an 8" on the jobsite saw.  It's not so much the power needed to make a wide cut as the power needed to get the blade spinning and keep it up to speed.  

The Freud Safety Set was what I had and it did a good job until I upgraded both saw and dado set
Wink
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(11-18-2018, 07:52 PM)Pirate Wrote: DW7670 DeWalt works great for me.
Has a great case to keep blades organized.
Has a nice chart to select required blades, chippers and shims.

Cuts clean? That would be a pretty available blade without ordering one too.
I have the DeWalt/Delta one as well.  I like it better then the Freud I gave to a friend.  I don't know how much better a $200 set would cut but I am very happy with mine.  Likes:  case, metal shims(freud are plastic) 4 tooth chippers, has a 3/32" chipper.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
It does make nice cuts
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Freud, Infinity, Amana, and the ultimate is Forrest.
About half way up the food chain ....Got mine cheaper than this . Not Flat ... will leave ears . Have been good blades for me .
Linky

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I have two Freud 8" dado sets.  The first one I bought for my table saw.  The second one (negative hook angle) I bought for my radial arm saw.  

The negative hook angle seems to make cleaner cuts for either saw (but cuts more slowly).  It is the one that I usually use.

The negative hook angle set is much harder to find.  I suppose there must be some other advantages to the positive hook angle sets, but I don't know what it is.

This Woodsmith article confirms my contention that a negative hook angle makes cleaner cuts:

http://www.woodworkingseminars.com/wp-co...Blades.pdf
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks everybody! I may grab a DeWalt set next time I'm out and about and see how that works out. I can always return it if it doesn't do what it's supposed to. (without paying shipping)
Many years ago, I bought a Dado set from, of all places, Harbor Freight.   At the time, I thought I'd be taking it back, but it turned out to be a real bargain.   It cuts as flat on the bottom as anyone could ever want.   It was only about fifty bucks as I remember.  

The one they have currently is 60, and of course you can get your money back if you don't like it.
One of the keys to look at is how flat the dado bottom are. A number of sets have ATB profile teeth that leave tracks in the dado bottoms that show up on a joint edge. The dewalt/delta wasn’t too bad.

Matt