UniSaw gurus... Transportation advice??
Be aware that if you remove an older Uni motor, if it's a repulsion induction motor, the motor weighs close to 100#.
1 uni I moved we tilted I'd back into pickup bed.
Back rail on bed, table vertical.
2nd one strapped uptight into trailer.
Both saws traveled fine.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Thanks for creating the thread Uncle Snipe. I read on another forum pretty much the same thing recommended in this thread. Drop the motor, remove the wings, rails, and fence. I should have no problem doing that. Looking at the forecast I should be clear of rain for the trip back. Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Here's are some photos.

Cool deal, nice to see you. Congrats on the new saw and hope you got some good pointers. Hope you have help lifting it. It's a beast. Your grandpa would be thrilled if he knew you were getting it. It may be 75 years old but it's a good 'un.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(11-19-2018, 02:10 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: Remove the motor, fence, wings.  Back a truck up to it.  Flip it into the truck upside down and take it home that way. Table and trunnion weight is now near the bed and it is not top heavy.  One person can actually do the flip but 2 makes it easier.  A strap or 2 and you are good to go.  Reverse for the unload.

This is perfect advice and what I have done when moving two saws--one a Uni, the other a 66.

Also, great story.  Seriously.  You know we love stuff like this.

Is the kid over on www.owwm.org yet?  If not, point him there.  They'll welcome him, help him out, and they'll love this story even more!
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-20-2018, 08:59 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: This is perfect advice and what I have done when moving two saws--one a Uni, the other a 66.

Also, great story.  Seriously.  You know we love stuff like this.

Is the kid over on www.owwm.org yet?  If not, point him there.  They'll welcome him, help him out, and they'll love this story even more!

Well he's not really a kid anymore. He's a fine young man. Not sure if he's there or not. I recommended WN to him and glad he stopped in. Hope to see him here in the future. Alsh Hope he's around when I have to start unloading my stuff, some of my older things were also my dad's. My son (32yo) hasn't shown any interest. Be nice to keep the better things in the family.

I am bringing home a Delta Homecraft bench top drill press when I visit next. Really looking forward to using it. I don't remember growing up with it so dad probably found it at a yard sale. Pretty drill press.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I’ve moved one from thedealer where my wife bought it used to my house. The same one was packed into my shipping container and shipped from NH to the Island of St.Croix. I bought a old new stock Unisaw when I moved back from the islands and moved it from TN to where it lives now using a “Pods” type service.

I never did anything with the motor, I did remove the CI wings and top. Those were carefully packed as separate items. Leaving them bolted together is not only heavy, but asking for breakage.

The saw without the cast iron is manageable by one person with a hand truck, and the three CI pieces are also manageable individually.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Just leave it on the side of the road and give me the address; I'll take care of it.  
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I’ve moved about 6 cabinet saws, 4 of them Unis. Never removed a motor, most travelled upside down. Fenc and wings removed.
(11-20-2018, 05:41 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Well he's not really a kid anymore. He's a fine young man. Not sure if he's there or not. I recommended WN to him and glad he stopped in. Hope to see him here in the future. Alsh Hope he's around when I have to start unloading my stuff, some of my older things were also my dad's. My son (32yo) hasn't shown any interest. Be nice to keep the better things in the family.

I am bringing home a Delta Homecraft bench top drill press when I visit next. Really looking forward to using it. I don't remember growing up with it so dad probably found it at a yard sale. Pretty drill press.

Ugh.

I'm getting old enough that when I hear "nephew" or "niece" I immediately think of a kid.

Just shoot me.
Semper fi,
Brad

[Image: IMG_3718.jpg]Motors vary in size, with older ones considerably heavier than new ones.  Roads vary in smoothness, and speed matters.  I really just posted to include this photo, borrowed from the OWWM website, to show an approach.