Is my Uni suicidal?? (cautionary tale)
Loaded up my big tools on my 16' trailer to take to new shop, about 5 miles away.  

Put Uni on first, in corner against the rails.  Lathe, 8" jointer and 18" bandsaw wedged it in with plenty of straps on them.

Headed out this morning.  First corner it did a back-flip and landed top down on pavement.
Big eek
Big eek

Nice guy stopped and helped me get it back on trailer. Two straps this time.

Got it to shop and unloaded with tractor.

Seems to be okay, but will have to do some close checking when  Thanksgiving is over.

There is a lot less sawdust in it now
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(11-22-2018, 11:17 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Loaded up my big tools on my 16' trailer to take to new shop, about 5 miles away.  

Put Uni on first, in corner against the rails.  Lathe, 8" jointer and 18" bandsaw wedged it in with plenty of straps on them.

Headed out this morning.  First corner it did a back-flip and landed top down on pavement.
Big eek
Big eek

Nice guy stopped and helped me get it back on trailer. Two straps this time.

Got it to shop and unloaded with tractor.

Seems to be okay, but will have to do some close checking when  Thanksgiving is over.

There is a lot less sawdust in it now
Rolleyes

It's a sick feeling.  I once threw a saw out of my trailer.  It was strapped, but obviously not in the directions it should have been.  Hard lesson for me to learn.  Hopefully a mistake I only make once.
Certainly speaks to this thread

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7344448
1. Obviously the trunnions are stronger than we thought.
2.  If experience is the best teacher, you are eminently qualified to advise.
I dropped my milling machine off of a forklift once.  Fortunately the ground was soft.  Got a bigger forklift the next day.
Many moons ago, I went and got a Makita 2030 which is a planer jointer machine. Most of the weight was on the top of the machine with the tables and the body of the planer. Had it strapped in the back of my new Tundra, went around the first corner and it was out of the truck. On the way out it decided to leave it's mark on the side of the bed. That day I learned about what being top heavy means when you transport tools.
WT you need some strapping lessons.
Smile
Always strap from side to side and front to rear if possible.

Always stop and recheck your straps, chains, binders after a short distance. Things move. Straps need re tightened.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-26-2018, 06:54 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: WT you need some strapping lessons.
Smile
Always strap from side to side and front to rear if possible.

Always stop and recheck your straps, chains, binders after a short distance. Things move. Straps need re tightened.

Agree on getting strapping lessons -  there was a fascinating, but tragic, episode of Aircraft Disasters on this topic.  A plane was leaving Afghanistan loaded with 3 heavy pieces of military equipment.  Though they used the number of straps recommended by the manufacturer for that load, one piece of equipment came loose on takeoff, knocked out many pieces of critical equipment, left the pilot with no ability to control the plane, and it crashed and killed all aboard.  The investigation showed that the angle of the straps greatly impacted the resistance to movement.   A strap that went from a hook on the floor of  plane parallel to the floor to the back the equipment offset a certain amount of force towards the back of the plane.  The same sized strap when hooked to the back top of the equipment was at a 45 degree angle to the bottom of the plane, not parallel, and so the force it could resist was greatly reduced.  The guys who were loading and strapping down the equipment for a long time were not aware of the difference and had never been trained to make adjustments for the angle of the straps and where the tie downs were located.  Don't know who trains riggers, but there is a lot to it that is not obvious.