Dw610 router issue
I'm trying to save a dewalt dw610 router that was in a flood. Part of the problem I'm having is that I took it apart some time ago, put it in a box and forgot about it.
The main problem is that where the collet screws to the end of the armature. From an exploded diagram it looks like I'm not missing any parts but there is a "clamp nut" part #39 that is giving me a problem. I have the old clamp nut style,,,not like what they sell now.
My clamp nut is a round washer with a raised ridge in the center with threads. The raised ridge faces the bearing and then it is screwed onto the armature. There a 3 small holes on this washer that probably use a type of spanner wrench to tighten. I use a punch and spin this clamp nut until it stops.
Problem: once tightened, it is difficult to spin the armature. When turned on the router SCREAMS.
Leaving this clamp nut off...there is no screaming.
Any clue why this nut all of a sudden wont go back on without the binding, screaming sound?

Diagram link:
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/dewalt..._2727.html
Is the fan and bearing under that nut all pulled up tight onto the armature, no gap?
Fan facing the correct direction?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yes ,,,I never took the fan off or had the armature out of the top section.
It seems like the clamp nut might be pulling the armature more through the bearing (clamp nut ridge contacts inner race of bearing and spins with it) ,,,then I could imagine something on the opposite side touching something. Yet there was nothing on the opposite side that was touched by me.
Hmm ok. I assume you have washer 38 in place?
Is the armature seated in the lower brg?

I'm just throwing random questions
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Nothing should be touching the inner race of the bearing, it turns with the rotor. You’re either missing a piece or something is assembled wrong.
"Hmm ok. I assume you have washer 38 in place?
Is the armature seated in the lower brg?
I'm just throwing random questions"

#38 is actually a clip that holds the bearing in place.
By lower bearing you mean the one closer to the collet? Yes, when installed it one side meets the housing the other has a retaining ring that fits into a groove.
Ask away....I will try some pics next. I'm going to take it apart again and see if the fan has any scraping 9n it.
"Nothing should be touching the inner race of the bearing, it turns with the rotor. You’re either missing a piece or something is assembled wrong."

Correct, the inner race turns with the rotor....the clamp nut is screwed down onto the rotor...the ridge of the clamp nut contacts the inner race of the bearing and they all spin as one. By the diagram, I have the parts.

The only thing I can see the clamp nut doing is to take up any minor slack that the rotor might have.

Since tightening the clamp nut against the bearing draws the rotor through the bearing,,the problem has to be on the opposite side of the bearing. I will disassemble it and look for scoring.
Ok. Post some pics.
Did you replace the bearings?
If not, do the old bearings spin ok?
When you disassemble, look to see if whether the brg (fan end) is spinning in the housing.

I had an old craftsman one time that the brg was stiff and spun in the housing, making a scretching noise
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

"Ok. Post some pics. 
Did you replace the bearings?
If not, do the old bearings spin ok?
When you disassemble, look to see if whether the brg (fan end) is spinning in the housing.

I had an old craftsman one time that the brg was stiff and spun in the housing, making a scretching noise"

I didnt replace the bearings yet because I wanted to test and make sure it works. The large bottom bearing I took the seals off, cleaned old crud and replaced with magnalube G. (I've done this quite a few times with bearings, clean..dry, repack). I did this to get an idea of how it runs. This bearing feels nice by hand. Magnalube may be too thin for long time use.
The top bearing I cannot get to,,,the armature is in there real good. It feels good though, no gritty stop and go feeling by hand.
The only way I can get the armature out is by removing the field which is held in my two long screws. But these screws are blocked by the fan blades. So I never took the armature out. Doing it by removing the field means all the wiring, switch and brush holders have to be disconnected then I will see the full armature with bearing in the top section.
I'll see if I can get quick pics in a few minutes
Here are some pics. The fan is in it's original position, it didnt move.

Attached Files Image(s)