End Table for the Boss
So....Little Oaken Box was delivered....next up?    Picked up 12' of 1 x 6 Ash ( cut in half, to fit in my van)....and a 10' 2 x 4....also cut down...
Hauled the 1 x 6s to the shop....needed 3 good blanks at 30" long...give or take an inch...got 4 out of the two planks...3 were decent enough
Rolleyes  

But the fourth one?
No  

I don't think I want this anywhere near a table top...
Uhoh As for the other 3....Edges needed straightened, THEN jointed....Bandsaw to remove the worst, tablesaw to straight-line both edges....THEN the planes took over...

Was able to get three boards to fit together, finally.....spread some glue...do a rubbed glue joint, add more glue, repeat the rub...

All that is holding these three boards is the glue....I added clamps, as I wanted cauls on the ends

And that was that....a 4/4 x 16 x 30" blank for the End Table's  top.  Set this aside for awhile..

Next episode?   Well, I do have those 2 x 4s to cut down into tapered legs....and resaw into aprons...
Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Ok, while the top sat off in a corner of the shop...resaw of  one of the 2 x 4s...Needed blanks to make four legs..
Cool 

Roughly square..22" long, just under 2" thick....Had to run each cut twice...saw blade didn't reach all the way through...
Rolleyes 

While the rip fence was still set up...
Rolleyes that wavy 1 x 6 was run through a couple of times...clamp them into the vise..

Well, ain't they cute
Confused  decided to add a clamp or two..

Let this sit a few days...between the clamps and the basement air....maybe it will straighten out
Uhoh   They will get cut down, need rails for a bottom shelf to sit in.
Bit of a teaser...more in the next episode...

Been awhile since I have done tapered legs....lots to work out...couple jigs to build...lots of cussing to do
Rolleyes

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Well, drew new layout lines for the tapers...old ones weren't looking right.   Also resaw all four down by a saw kerf on two sides.  Then started cutting tapers...needed a jig to hold things steady, when I planed the saw marks off  

Finally got the four legs tapered...on just the two inside faces...
Cool 

Rebuilt the jig, set up the Stanley 45 with a #22 bead cutter...

Which worked for one face of each leg...had to re-arrange the jig a bit.  as the blanks get flipped end for end.   Instead of going from the top down, I had to go from the foot up
Rolleyes 

Wanted a detail like this on the outside corner of each leg...came close..
Cool 

More of a shadow line.   Legs are done, for now...had other things to mill up

Stay tuned..
The other half of that 10' 2 x 4 needed crosscut to rough lengths, to make apron stock.....right about where I wanted to cut..there was a 4-5 knot cluster....cut on both sides of that mess...went from there....cluster went to the burn box.  Had one other knot to remove..

Well, I guess I could make do with 3" aprons, instead of 4"
Rolleyes ....in the process of setting up the rip fence, flipping boards  over...cut the wrong edge
Upset  OK, reset and cut 2-1/8" wide aprons....Made it easier to resaw, anyway..

Takes two passes as the blade doesn't reach that high.  Then cut these down to roughly the lengths I need...plus a little extra..
Rolleyes

Will need to get these done up as S4S....hand plane work. 

Kept the better looking cut-offs...need corner blocks and braces...Besides the Millers Falls No. 14 jack plane I used for the tapers..I also used a smaller plane for the flat areas..
Cool

A #3 sized Fulton....seemed to work nicely enough.

Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Monday....shop was closed for today.   Needed a day to rest  up, anyway
Rolleyes 

I suppose I should bring this up to date....
Confused 

Went "Old School" yesterday....gave the bandsaw AND the tablesaw the day off...other than a place to stash stuff....
Rolleyes 
Aprons needed to be S4S...

Yes, it will make nice, fluffy shavings....it also tends to bevel an edge...we have ways
Winkgrin 

Needed to clear the top of the bench, re-arrange  a couple jig parts....

Depending on whether the apron was long, like this, or short...

Determined which size plane I used.  The #62 still had issoes doing this sort of jointing work.
Upset ...got out the Millers Falls No. 11 Junior Jack plane...no more issues.
Winkgrin 
Got all the edges squared up, face grains flat....need to reset the jig, again...

Have to do some bead work...stay tuned
Cool
Ok, Stanley 45 was still set up as a bead plane...#22 cutter...did not change any settings.. Aprons get a simple bead along the bottom edge.  Still had the short aprons on the bench...

A few passes was enough to make the bead. got both short aprons done...reset for the long ones..

Got the long ones done..was taking longer to reset the jigs, than do the work...cleared the bench for awhile...

Toosed  the table's top onto the bench...layout work.   Two leg blanks, set 1" in from the edges..mark a squared end for a 1/2" long tenon...then mark where the tenon start and stops at the other end...

Then crosscut the excess off.   To lay out the long aprons, I rotate the legs to across the width. Sit them right against the cauls...hopefully,after I trim the ends of the top for square, I'll still have a bit of  overhang on the ends. 

Then I can cross cut the long aprons to length.  I can then  stash the table's top over on top of the tablesaw...
Wasn't too bad of a day?   Sunday was a bit shorter....had chisel work to do..

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Ok, before anyone asks...yes, I do tenons first, and  chop the mortise to fit.   No power tools today...other than a cordless drill..

Got the tenons all marked out...after the last time using the bandsaw,
Upset when back to the older ways
Cool

Set up a stop block, so all the tenons will be the same length....

Mitre box is a Langdon 74/75 ( depending on what length saw I use)  Didn't bother with the depth stops..just saw down to a stop line..
Cool 

Shoulder cuts were all done...cheek cuts?

Depending on the grain...I could either backsaw off the waste...or, if the grain was straight enough...just a wide chisel to split the waste off.

There was a couple extra cuts and pop-offs to do....don't need the tenons to be so wide...

Not too bad?   Took about half of that day's shop time....stay tuned for the other half
Winkgrin
Other part of the shop time.....had to re-do the old mortise jig.   One rail was getting chewed up, time to replace it...

Looks like it needs to be set a tad wider, too..

Got out the usual suspects..

Laid out the first mortise, and chopped it out...

Then a dry fit...

Then set the apron aside, after marking which end goes where...

Well, due to the 5 photo rule...will have to do one more entry...
Stay tuned...
OK, part 2....Rotate the leg 90 degrees to the next "T" mark on the top of the leg ( T as in both Taper, and Tenon) lay out for the next tenon.   Leg was soon done, then I repeated for a second leg....and a test fit..
Rolleyes  

But, these cannot stay here....table top was still on the tablesaw...I added a clamp to make "transport" easier...
Cool 

Then I could work on the other two legs....sometime
Uhoh  Was getting a bit too tired...mistakes tend to happen then...decided to clean the floor...

Bandsaw tried to get in the way....long aprons needed a bit more room..

Had to make sure my stash didn't spill, too.   Busy couple of days...being that this is a Monday, shop was closed for the day....needed to rest up a bit, anyway..

May be Tuesday, I can get the rest of the top mortises done?    Then a full dry fit, all clamped up, so I can lay out the sizes for the shelf's rails...

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Rest of the apron mortises are done.....did a dry fit, both to lay out where clamps will go, and to measure for the shelf's rails...
Cool 

Once the rails were cut to rough lengths..
Rolleyes  

Will need a LOT of clean up
No  before the #78 and the #45 can even be used...
Upset   

Set these aside....set up and trimmed the top of the table square....

Hey...that saw IS Vintage....6" SKIL saw, Home Shop.  
Was getting a bit tired....with all the chopping, cutting, clamping, and cussing....stashed the top and the base aside, for now...
Winkgrin

May try later today to get something done....stay tuned