How should I attempt a flat curve
"ok, I just had a thought. How are you going to treat the joint on the underside between the wall and the bottom of your shelf ? I usually see some type of molding used, this may mean a wider shelf is needed"

Yes,,there will be enough if an over hang that I can put a thin strip under it.

"I wonder what it would cost to have it cut from granite or man-made stone? It would sure look good."

That was one of my thoughts. This past summer I found someone on craigslist giving away free marble. The picture of it looked like it would work except for the curve.
Does the top need to follow the curve?  Why not decide what shape surface you want in that spot, and make the top that shape?
[Image: y69wYAM.jpg]

Quick (and inaccurate) Sketchup drawing showing my thoughts.  Boards measure about 7" wide. (oops -- segments should be closer to same size. brain not working at 2 am )

Get some posterboard, etc and make some marks and cut some trial pieces and see what you like/have materials to do.

Hope this helps.  Maybe I can get to sleep now. 
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
A bent lamination would look really nice!!
Alan S......that's an interesting idea but both sides of the wall need the extra room of following the curve. One side is a kitchen table.

Wild Turkey ......That's what I'm trying to come up with, nice job..it helps. I was more thinking along the lines of making a wide 90* and cutting it out. I just cant figure how wide the 90* would have to be yo place my cardboard template on.

Rwe2156.....way too much work
Smile
Cut ply to fit, say 3/4". Then order some veneer big enough to cover the top and 2 sides.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I thought of walnut veneer plywood or veneering it myself but I want to router the edges
(11-26-2018, 08:35 PM)Marc Wrote: I thought of walnut veneer plywood or veneering it myself but I want to router the edges

Just add thick enough solid edge banding so you can round over the edge corners.
Wood is good. 
Using a 1x8, the "waste" from the inside of the curve might be just wide enough to complete the full width of the curve. Try it with 7-1/4" wide cardboard and let us know.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(11-26-2018, 08:43 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: Just add thick enough solid edge banding so you can round over the edge corners.

10-4
Maybe 2 layers for a wider, deeper profile
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020