Veritas saws from China?
Question 
Was checking ebay for small back saws and saw this listing that looks like a Veritas dovetail saw, but it's being sold from China.
Anyone else notice this? Any idea why veritas saws would be coming from China, are these used?

https://www.ebay.com/b/Collectible-Saws/...n=3&_sop=1
Might be a scammer. Apparently he already has two negative feedbacks from people who haven't received their stuff.
I just see a page of junky saws listed. Index.
(11-25-2018, 10:01 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I just see a page of junky saws listed. Index.

Here it is
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Maybe the Chinese used it to copy for a future knockoff to be sold by Woodcraft.
I don't think the seller is a scammer as the non -delivered items were not high value items. The last 20 feedbacks in the past month have all been good.

But LV cyber Monday sale had the same saw for sale as of half an hour ago for $50 (?).

Simon
It appears that there are Chinese businesses that have realized that woodworking is a good business to be in.  I would expect them to copy anything they like the looks of. They will hit whatever quality level they think will sell. l have seen some interesting Chinese planes posted by people on facebook, but I haven't bought anything.
(11-26-2018, 10:33 AM)EricU Wrote: It appears that there are Chinese businesses that have realized that woodworking is a good business to be in.  I would expect them to copy anything they like the looks of. They will hit whatever quality level they think will sell. l have seen some interesting Chinese planes posted by people on facebook, but I haven't bought anything.

Eric, that would be my guess, but to copy an existing design so precisely? If that's what it is, I wonder if Lee Valley has any design patents or copyrights or something to try and prevent such things.
Thanks for the revised link Rob. 

TFWW had a blog post (Joel's) about third party scammers which I have not remembered too much of. Only, avoid the third party (who?) , super bargain. They are either scamming the buyer or the real business, or both.
(11-25-2018, 09:09 PM)Master-of-None Wrote: Was checking ebay for small back saws and saw this listing that looks like a Veritas dovetail saw, but it's being sold from China.
Anyone else notice this? Any idea why veritas saws would be coming from China, are these used?

https://www.ebay.com/b/Collectible-Saws/...n=3&_sop=1

I hope the buyer doesn't get scammed.  The saw was sold as new, but the pic is stolen from the Woodcraft website.  Free economy shipping to the US from China?  Hmm.  Lee Valley still advertises they are made in Canada.  If you look at the seller's history, he started selling vitamin products, then switched to tools.  I think he's probably a front for some folks in the US liquidating stores or estates or something.  One buyer from the same seller said his tool was shipped from Michigan.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill