Bandsaw thin strips and drift...
(11-30-2018, 11:04 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: About the only time I resaw with the bandsaw is when the tablesaw won't do it.

I'd say a lot of resaw problems (if the machine is correct) have to do with the sharpness of the blade's teeth from one side to the other, or the set is different.
+1 on adjusting the table, not the fence. I learned this from Michael Fortune.

You definitely will get a better quality, more consistent cut on a ts, the trade off is kerf width.

That said, a carbide tooth bandsaw blade will do well.
(12-03-2018, 09:40 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: +1 on adjusting the table, not the fence.  I learned this from Michael Fortune.

You definitely will get a better quality, more consistent cut on a ts, the trade off is kerf width.

That said, a carbide tooth bandsaw blade will do well.

Now that I've done a few piles of strips, it seems like the waste (the main issue) is not much of one at all.

If you put a 1/16" kerf circular saw blade on, you lose about 3/80" (0.0375") every time cut. This is the difference between the bandsaw blade kerf (about 1/40") and the circular saw blade.

Every species I have cut (and every cut) has been ready to glue directly off the table saw. The amount of actual waste, considering the occasional cleanup needed from the bandsaw, is pretty low. And of course when a piece drifts, you'll lose everything that you otherwise gain. I am all for optimization and efficiency, but this doesn't seem like it makes make much sense to me.

Of course, for taller pieces, there isn't really an option besides the bandsaw, so I will have to perfect my tuning and my technique sooner or later.
(12-03-2018, 10:09 AM)FS7 Wrote: Now that I've done a few piles of strips, it seems like the waste (the main issue) is not much of one at all.

If you put a 1/16" kerf circular saw blade on, you lose about 3/80" (0.0375") every time cut. This is the difference between the bandsaw blade kerf (about 1/40") and the circular saw blade.

Every species I have cut (and every cut) has been ready to glue directly off the table saw. The amount of actual waste, considering the occasional cleanup needed from the bandsaw, is pretty low. And of course when a piece drifts, you'll lose everything that you otherwise gain. I am all for optimization and efficiency, but this doesn't seem like it makes make much sense to me.

Of course, for taller pieces, there isn't really an option besides the bandsaw, so I will have to perfect my tuning and my technique sooner or later.

I will try the table adjustment, too.  I read all the reviews on bandsaws in my price range and bought the Laguna 14" with the foot brake (I forget the model name) and one of the things I wanted to do with it was resaw.  I have never been able to resew accurately, even with a small 1 1/2" piece of cherry - I always get drift.  I thought it was my inability to dial in the fence accurately after each blade change, despite following the manual precisely.  Because of this, I am sorry I bought the thing as it rarely gets used.  I will try the table adjustment.  Thanks all.