nail gun question
ok, 16 gauge nail gun seems to double tap every so often.  I can be nailing and it will end up shooting two nails.  Don't know if I screwed up or not but any ideas what is causing it?

I started using it the other night, ran out of nails, grabbed some more, could have sworn I got the 16 gauge, but grabbed the 18, jammed.  Clear it put the right ones in it works fine.  Next night works but the tip wasn't always springing back.  Light touch would release it.  Figure, well haven't oiled it for awhile.  Drop a little oil down, works fine but now I occasionally get the two nails that I mention.  Everything seems locked down.  When it does this it sticks up less than 1/16th of an inch.  When I tap it down I can see that there are two nails.

I've used a decent number of nail guns so I don't think it is my technique.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
Pasalode is/was notorious for that. What brand gun are you running?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

numax, from home depot.
mark
Not familiar with that one.
Double fire is usually caused by the driver coming up too fast/far and hitting the spring loaded bumper in the head and coming back down before you can get your finger off the trigger.

Go to ereplacementparts.com and type in your model#. It brings up a parts list and diagram.
Down below that there is a question/answer place that gives you an idea of what is wrong with your gun, and the part to fix it with
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Sounds like a double tap----allowing the nose to come up just far enough to reset the safety as your hand is still pushing down and finger holding the trigger.

Fix is technique---firmly set the nose, pull the trigger, quickly release the trigger, and then pull up the nailer.
i'll pay more attention to that next time I use it. I thought about it when it first started happening and did pay more attention. What got me to wondering was I haven't got that with this gun in the past and when I was using the 18 gauge nailer I don't get it.

add: It only started happening after the jam.
mark
I wonder if the safety tip may be hanging up, maybe bent just a whisker by the jam?

I have a Stanley air stapler that has the rapidfire nose---hold the trigger and tap the nose---and get a double tap now and then.
i'll take a look at that, but now I'm hearing leaking from the trigger occasionally so my guess is that.
mark