Is a Power Planer really a power Scraper ?
I think you should do more to get more strokes
(11-30-2018, 12:30 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Philosophers:

Sorry if this has been treated before, but I keep thinking the rotary blades on power planers and jointers are really hitting the work at angles more like scraping than planing.

I hardly ever use my power Jointer, but I recalled the blade bevel honing was supposed to be in the 37.5-45 degree range, and it hits the work "bevel down" at what would seem to me to be about 90 degrees "bedding angle".   So I think it's a scraper.

Typical power planed boards, I would say, avoid tearout to an impressive degree, but they don't have the "sheen" that you get with low angle planing.

Your thoughts ?

Chris
Might be considered a "wedging" action.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks, All, for your contributed ideas and good humor.

I guess "asymptotically" if the depth of cut is keep << 1/32",  it could be a bit of a scraper, like a scraping Lathe hand tool.  But for any appreciable depth of cut, the wedging and cutting effects will be unfriendly to reversed grain.

By the way, I was almost refreshed on a project lately to do some sanding.  I had been so caught-up in the ideal of perfectly planed surfaces that I forgot that sandpaper isn't always bad 
Smile

Chris
Chris
No. They’re cutting tools.
(11-30-2018, 12:30 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Is a Power Planer really a power Scraper ?

Chris

No
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I do not understand what people are thinking. When the material is fed into the cutter on a power jointer or planer the cutting action takes place near the apex of the rotor holding the knives. The material encounters the knife edge at an angle not much different than that of a hand plane. Problem with the power tool and tear out is that there's not much of a way to have a tight mouth.
More like a controlled powered chipper with a feeding table underneath.
I would think it would be more of a power shearer.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
both a planer and a jointer use the same cutting action as a plane. There are power metal scrapers, but I don't think I have heard of a power wood scraper.