Old Barn wood bench
Hey gang.

This is not exactly fine woodworking, but the customer is happy so there is that.
One of my brothers in law is battling cancer. He has spent a lot of his off time at a
ranch several hours from home, relaxing, when he can. On that ranch, they had torn
down a very old barn.

He saved some of the wood and wanted me to make a bench to set outside the
cabin on the ranch that he stays at. Sorta a limited use, 'take your boots off" kinda
thing.

The wood is old, and kinda punky. Not going to make it for 'fine" work. So, I looked
around on the internet and came across a design by a woodworker on youtube. Jay
Bates.  Using his design as a base, I came up with this. 

Just thought I would post if anyone might be interested.

He is happy. So I am.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Hey looks good.

5 minutes with a hacksaw and trim up those protruding bolts underneath.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yep, looks like a good porch sitting bench to me.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
I think it's a great idea to recycle old wood. And to have special meaning for you BIL makes it all the better.

Nice job!
Everyone may have a different definition of "fine woodworking". To me, that bench looks mighty fine. I'm sure that it will give lots of joy and comfort, great job
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(12-02-2018, 02:06 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Hey looks good.

5 minutes with a hacksaw and trim up those protruding  bolts underneath.

Plus one! And grind the ends smooth, because grandkids and small ones swing their legs. 

Reminds me of the one my Grandpa made. Well, he made two. A fancy one for the front yard that everyone used, and a simple one like this so he could snooze during warm winter days at his door. Dad built his studio at the south end of our house.

I find it very rewarding to salvage and reuse. It may not ease construction or be inexpensive, but carries a lot of history. The shysters at Second Use even publish the sources of the materials they sell.
good points on the bolts.

dremel tool for the win.

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(12-02-2018, 01:52 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: good points on the bolts.

dremel tool for the win.

Big Grin

Love the bench and story! Thank you.
Substitute "T" nuts for the hex nuts and then cut the bolts flush or 1/16" short.
Nice job. Good looking bench.
(12-02-2018, 01:36 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Looks good Mark. I have considered doing some work with barn wood. We have plenty of it in North Dakota.
Is there a chemical that could be used to "weather" the cut ends and help them blend in? Time would surly do this but can something give it a head start?
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!