English layoug square -- shop cleanup edition
I've had a partly assembled English Layout Square (link-a-dink) kicking around my basement shop for at least 5 years.  This was the sample I built as a demo for an afternoon class at the Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild a while back.  I should have another one in quarter sawn cherry around here somewhere.  I'm slowly cleaning up the shop space in preparation for (I hope) once again having time for some larger projects. And this was another good refresher course in smoothing cross-grain joints with the plane and scraper.

Spent a few minutes squaring it up and since its "arms" are quarter sawn walnut, I expect them to stay put.  This walnut came in a big batch of stuff that the previous owner had though would be good to all pre-surface. And they screwed it up so instead of nice 4/4 or even 3/4 most of it ends up at 5/8" on a good day.  But cheap is cheap.  And because they stored it in a barn, it was attacked by some boring beetles. I've done what I can to eliminate them and so far, no evidence of active infestations. Not good for fine furniture but makes interesting tools and work-a-day projects.

Wipe-on poly covered with wax.

And on the list is to resurface the bench top.  Getting a little grubby looking. This was also a good project to find the random glue drips that do a great job of denting your work when you lay it down for planing...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Nice square!

Did I read somewhere that Sodium hydroxide(?) or, Borax(?) was a good bug deterrent?  I get them confused with moss control which is our most common ground cover. I have stuff floating around that really should be bombed.