Getting myself a new miter saw for Christmas...some last minute questions
The Dewalt saws have a stainless steel plate with the detents notched in, behind the locking knob is a thumb button that engages or disengages the detents.
When you utilize the detents you don't really need to use the locking knob because it sets tight. Anywhere in between detents you will then need to use the locking knob.
(12-09-2018, 10:31 AM)Bluepine Wrote: The Dewalt saws have a stainless steel plate with the detents notched in, behind the locking knob is a thumb button that engages or disengages the detents.
When you utilize the detents you don't really need to use the locking knob because it sets tight. Anywhere in between detents you will then need to use the locking knob.

Yes, someone had pointed this out before. What has been your experience with the knobs when using the odd angles? Any table movement for you (at least on the DeWalts)?
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Zero movement no issue.
Good to hear from yet another person here! Plus, I noticed on Amazon the 779 model is now labeled as "ships from and sold by CPO outlets"...I've seen VERY mixed reviews for that place at best, and the 709 is still being sold by Amazon, so if on Wednesday the sellers are still the same, I'll go for the 709!
Near future projects:

(12-09-2018, 07:14 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Good to hear from yet another person here! Plus, I noticed on Amazon the 779 model is now labeled as "ships from and sold by CPO outlets"...I've seen VERY mixed reviews for that place at best, and the 709 is still being sold by Amazon, so if on Wednesday the sellers are still the same, I'll go for the 709!

I've bought several reconditioned tools from CPO Outlets and have had no problems with them.
(12-11-2018, 07:18 PM)joespehar Wrote:      I've bought several reconditioned tools from CPO Outlets and have had no problems with them.

Same here.
I actually got the 709 ordered yesterday before I saw the two posts above. My main concern with the 709 was the lock knob, which sounds like it wasn't something to worry about based on what people have told me here (at least in terms of the ones on DeWalt saws). I just can't ignore the overall reviews for CPO, though...with my luck I probably wouldn't have the same good experience as you guys, hahaha.
Near future projects:

I notice no one mentioned Hitachi, they have been selling their 12" SCMS for quite a few years now, and I'd think there would be a few here that own one.

A friend, who has since passed, had one that I used several times, and it seemed to be a pretty good saw.