Stinky Subject
My house is about 30 years old. Not happily I had to replaced one of our old style 3-4 gal/flush toilets with a 1.6 gal/flush. Took little while to get used to it (double flushes and all) and it still needs plunging maintenance much more than the old one. OK - I can live with this.

Did a complete remodel of our master 3/4 bath. It needed a new toilet (tank cover was broken). I bought a 1.6 gal/flush American Standard Titan at Menards. Need to deal with the double flushes like the other low volume toilet, but, don't know how to say this, if a load sits at the bottom it leaves a trail that can take 3-4 flushes to remove. Almost like the surface finish isn't as slick as our other toilets.

I've read there are toilet cleaners with teflon that is supposed to help but anything else I can do? 

I can still return this toilet if needed - any replacement suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
Is anyone in your house taking allopurinal(gout)?

One of the side effects of allopurinol is soft stools(the material, not the appliance) which cause similar problems.

The only solution(in my experience) is to flush after deposit. Our house is on a septic system(3 people), I try not to flush if only liquid uses---flushing maybe 2-3 times a day instead of 6-8. But, we flush every time for solid waste use.
When I built my house 20 years ago, my Eljer 1.6 Gallon tanks had a plastic "water conserving bucket" inside the tank.  It surrounded the flush valve and held separate the 1.6 gallons of water to make the flush.  I just took it out....shhhhhh don't tell the gument (government).  Boom! I was back to an almost 3.5 gallon flush toilet. No whether the new toilets will do this, I don't know.
Eric
Check to see if you have all the adjustments correct.  Read this article:  https://homeguides.sfgate.com/troublesho...47557.html

The very early versions were problematic; yours is a recent one and should work if properly adjusted.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My 1 year old American Standard (Cadet 4, Champion 4 ?) leaves streaks every time.  It always flushes, completely, but a toilet brush is a must to get back to white.  The glaze seems plenty smooth.  It just appears that the short but violent flushing action causes the solids to get scraped against the porcelain on its way out.  

I hate it, but at least it flushes.  I have no clue what you can do other than take it back and get another brand.  I didn't want to spend a lot on this one because it's in our half bath, but I would not put up with in the main one.  I'd spend more for a Toto or similar that have a special glaze to help prevent this.  

John
The bowl itself should not be any different than they have been. I doubt that's the problem.

The most likely culprit is diet, as that can lead to softer stools. In general, a lot of "healthier" diets result in smaller, softer stools, though this can vary widely.

If you have hard water, you will likely have mineral deposits and they are not anywhere near as smooth as porcelain. Use a pumice stone to clean the inside of the bowl, including below the water line, and see if that helps.

Also, the flush volume has a lot to do with it. The more water rushes in, the more forceful the suction, and the more water used, the more likely "sticky stuff" is to get flushed away.

You can see this in a lot of commercial toilets. They have sticking problems also, but the volume and force of the flush gets rid of a lot of that. I would imagine it's a known issue as customers and clients don't want to see that.
(12-07-2018, 01:18 PM)FS7 Wrote:  Use a pumice stone to clean the inside of the bowl, including below the water line, and see if that helps.

That would be really bad for the glaze and leave all kinds of scratches which will only make the problem worse.  

Hard stool of soft, doesn't matter with my new toilet, it's all a problem.  The 25 year old one has minimal issues.  

John
I just replaced all three toilets in my house with Kohler "comfort height" units; I was skeptical of the low gpf and the proprietary flushing valve they have, but I must say, I was impressed by the flushing success, absolutely no issues and its been about 6 months. No plunger action needed during this time either, and my bride really drops some large loads..... (nobody tell her that I mentioned that, please!!!!) And these were the Home Depot units that came with the seats and the wax ring in a sort of total install kit. So, satisfied consumer here.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-07-2018, 03:59 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That would be really bad for the glaze and leave all kinds of scratches which will only make the problem worse.  

Hard stool of soft, doesn't matter with my new toilet, it's all a problem.  The 25 year old one has minimal issues.  

John

Unless you have a toilet made of something other than porcelain, pumice won't scratch or damage anything. It's softer than the porcelain.

The whole reason it works it that it's abrasive, harder than the mineral stains, and softer than the porcelain.
(12-07-2018, 09:04 PM)FS7 Wrote: Unless you have a toilet made of something other than porcelain, pumice won't scratch or damage anything. It's softer than the porcelain.

The whole reason it works it that it's abrasive, harder than the mineral stains, and softer than the porcelain.

NEVER use an abrasive.  If you suspect hard water, for cleaning purposes, I highly recommend citric acid powder and hot (near boiling) water.  Dissolve the citric acid powder (about 1/4 cup) in about a quart of hot water, pour it slowly into the bowl and let it sit for 20 minutes.  You should be able to lightly brush away any hard water marks or roughness on the porcelain.