Another dead Harbor Freight tool
Few years ago I purchased a 18 GA Nail gun from Harbor Freight for one project.
After that it sat on  shelf , yesterday I try to use for another project.
1st it would not fire, I tried few times then it started leaking Air near Piston assembly near top.
I opened the piston assembly, did not see any issue, clean and assembled.
Again same issue air leak.

I am not interested in getting repair kit, not worth fixing this gun.

Well this gun is going to trash.

Lesson learned in buying disposable tools.

Attached Files Image(s)

Did you try squirting a couple of drops of oil into it?  Could be the seals just dried up after non-use for a few years.
Bob
I’ve had that same purple gun over 10 years. Still works.
VH07V  
I have a feeling “a few years ago” means more like over a decade ago. I’ve never seen a purple nail gun at HF, and I’ve been going for about a decade. Copywrite on the manual is 2001.

The newer guns that are gray and red have a reputation. I’ve got about 3 different types and all have worked flawlessly. Air nailers are some of their gems.
nail guns dont like to sit on shelves for long periods of time without being used and oiled.
(12-08-2018, 03:04 AM)BobW Wrote: Did you try squirting a couple of drops of oil into it?  Could be the seals just dried up after non-use for a few years.

Common mistake people make -- they use their guns without dropping any oil. Every nail gun manual should tell you so...but few read their manuals thoroughly or forget.

Simon
(12-08-2018, 11:57 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Common mistake people make -- they use their guns without dropping any oil. Every nail gun manual should tell you so...but few read their manuals thoroughly or forget.

Simon

That gun has been oiled, even though I did not use it for years. I made sure that it has some oil, twice a year.
I do that with all my tools. I do not use all my tools often, but every six months I clean the tools and do the preventive maintenance.

I did open the gun, cleaned everything, oiled and assembled.

The problem with this gun is poor workmanship. following are the pictures. the Valve Piston will not seat properly on the piston assembly.
Once I start closing the assembly, the valve piston moves. create a slight gap and that is cause of the leak.
I don't think this gun was made to repair.

I have Porter Cable 18 GA Brad Nailer gun which was not used for 2 years. It was my second choice as this will only go till 1 1/2 " nails. HF goose to 2"  . I used Porter Cable on this job  and worked immediately without any issue.

Point here is that Harbor Freight makes tools that are good for short term, workmanship is poor, no support, I called them for help but could not reach anyone.
This was my last tool from HF, I have not been in that store for years and no intention to step in that store.

Attached Files Image(s)

You have a lemon there. Some HF tools can be one-time tools.

Simon
(12-08-2018, 03:21 PM)Jack01 Wrote: That gun has been oiled, even though I did not use it for years. I made sure that it has some oil, twice a year.
I do that with all my tools. I do not use all my tools often, but every six months I clean the tools and do the preventive maintenance.

I did open the gun, cleaned everything, oiled and assembled.

The problem with this gun is poor workmanship. following are the pictures. the Valve Piston will not seat properly on the piston assembly.
Once I start closing the assembly, the valve piston moves. create a slight gap and that is cause of the leak.
I don't think this gun was made to repair.

I have Porter Cable 18 GA Brad Nailer gun which was not used for 2 years. It was my second choice as this will only go till 1 1/2 " nails. HF goose to 2"  . I used Porter Cable on this job  and worked immediately without any issue.

Point here is that Harbor Freight makes tools that are good for short term, workmanship is poor, no support, I called them for help but could not reach anyone.
This was my last tool from HF, I have not been in that store for years and no intention to step in that store.

I certainly wouldn't buy a HF tool expecting it to be a lifetime tool. If I were a contractor working in areas where tools "grow legs" on a regular basis, HF might last as long (before being stolen) as a Grex or Cadex.
Sorry you've had this problem with this tool from Harbor Freight. From the photos you posted, although I'm certain the problem is evident, I don't know enough to tell what the specific problem is from them. I have many "items" that I've bought from Harbor Freight over time. I have NO power or air tools bought there, and that is by design. I always go with name brand power and air tools, even if I buy them off of Craigslist or Ebay. Plenty of bargains out there if you just look around (bought my Bosch jigsaw off of Ebay and my Porter Cable 16 gauge nailer as a "return" at Home Depot).

My guess is that you didn't pay very much for this gun. If so, you're not out much, fortunately. My advice is to not necessarily give up on Harbor Freight, just alter your buying habits. Three things I've bought at our local store in the last few years or so that so that have worked out nicely for me and that I use often come to mind: One of those hydraulic lift carts (500 lb. capacity) that is very handy for moving heavy objects around the shop, digital calipers that I use very often, and an overhead trolley hoist that rolls on an I-beam in my shop.

Note: Almost forgot - I was in the local HF store earlier this year and noticed a set of chisels they had hanging on the rack. IIRC, they were $9.99. Wooden handles and I believe there were six total. With a coupon I got them for $7 and change. I have a couple of other nice chisel sets I use for tight work, but these are great for any rough work or those tasks where you need a chisel but don't want to risk damaging your nice set.

I always comparison shop any items I buy there and ALWAYS use the continuous 20% coupon that is on their website. Just have them scan it off my phone.

Good luck,

Doug

P.S. Members here also post "jewels" they find at Harbor Freight from time-to-time. I've done well with those also.