Router Plates
Question 
The woodpecker plate is cast, Rocklers and Benchdogs are machined ( I would expect from rolled sheets).  Woodpeckers is twice the price.  What is the difference?  Is the cast plate that much better?

Rockers and BechDogs appear to be the same, but there is a $10 price difference.  Does anyone know if they are in fact the same?  If they are different, what makes the Rockler plate 16.9% better?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I've got 4-5 Rockler aluminum plates. I suppose they are still aluminum?? Anodized in blue
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-08-2018, 06:53 PM)Cecil Wrote: The woodpecker plate is cast, Rocklers and Benchdogs are machined ( I would expect from rolled sheets).  Woodpeckers is twice the price.  What is the difference?  Is the cast plate that much better?

Rockers and BechDogs appear to be the same, but there is a $10 price difference.  Does anyone know if they are in fact the same?  If they are different, what makes the Rockler plate 16.9% better?
Rockler owns Bench Dog, so there is likely no difference.

I have used Rockler plates many times, never had any problem with them. Also have a couple of Kreg plates. Without the logos, do not think I could tell one from the other.

Not sure how “casting” the plate makes it better. Very few flat parts are cast without ribs underneath to keep them stiff and strong, and pretty much all cast parts require machining to make the surfaces flat and smooth.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Hmmmm, here I thought the Woodpecker plates were machined.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-09-2018, 07:01 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Hmmmm, here I thought the Woodpecker plates were machined.

I am sure they are machined, but apparently from a casting rather than cut from a large plate created from a roll or press process. them machined.

https://www.woodpeck.com/routing/router-...plate.html

Apparently there is a difference, but unless someone can enlighten me otherwise, the difference is not significant enough to worry about.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe