Cherry and White Oak Bed
So, my wife decided that 18 years on our old mattress was enough. I took it as an opportunity to try something new and convinced her to let me build a new bed. I'd never built a bed before so there was somewhat of a learning curve. Built many cabinets and smaller items but a bed has some big heavy parts, even just a queen size like this. I build a cabinet on stand jewelry case for her a few years ago out of cherry and rift sawn white oak and like the look of those two materials so went with that. Got some very nice thick RS white oak veneer from Certainly Wood for the panels. Sliced 1/8" thick pieces for the arched tops, epoxy, onto a form and into the vacuum press. Figured slip tenons were the best way to attached the arches to the stiles and rather and mess up the arches with a router, borrowed a Domino from a friend. Was very nice but really have clamp everything down to get a clean cut. The final glue-up was ... stressful but used straps, clamps, anything that would work and got it done. Used mechanical knockdown connectors for the bed rail attachments to the head/footboard - I was impressed at how solid they hold the whole thing together. A simple BLO and wipe on poly finish followed by some wax. Next up are some end tables to match. Critiques welcome -

cheers -
Matt
[Image: 46262429691_f30577b6f5_z.jpg]
[Image: 46262426331_c4ae8813c3_z.jpg]

[Image: 46262428531_c120b87447_z.jpg]

[Image: 45538694714_c1345e84ec_z.jpg]
That's gorgeous. Matt!
Yes 

Well done!

Cool
Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Nicely done - I like the curves, tends to soften the look.

Congrats!

Doug
Well done! I like to wood combination also.

Frank
wow, very nicely done!
I too love the curves of the design and the wood choices compliment each other nicely.  I bet the wife was pleased as well.  Great job.
Really nice! Not two woods I would have thought about putting together, but it really works well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-10-2018, 03:04 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Really nice! Not two woods I would have thought about putting together, but it really works well.

Fred's thought was my thought when I read your title, but the RSWO and Cherry do look nice together. Nice proportions and detail. Congratulations.
(12-10-2018, 04:33 PM)danceswithticks Wrote: Fred's thought was my thought when I read your title, but the RSWO and Cherry do look nice together. Nice proportions and detail. Congratulations.

I thought that too but it works very well. Might have to consider that on a future project.
Workmanship is super! Excellent proportions. Congratulations.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone