Loose bathtub faucet handle...
I have a Delta tub faucet (this one: https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/T2794-RB) and I have a problem with the handles coming loose.

Initially, I thought the plumber screwed something up when it was built, but I have since replaced the stem cartridge and the problem persists. The handle attaches to the stem with a set screw that is supposed to push against the flat side of the stem. The handle rocks and can come off easily (my daughter isn't the gentlest).

From what I can tell, the set screw simply does not get good purchase against the stem. From the looks of it, the set screw aligns with the very top of the stem, so the brass stem itself is too short (it's the right part). I am not sure what I can do about this, as I don't see an easy way to extend the stem securely. I might try wrapping it in painter's tape to see if I can build up enough to rely on friction, but I don't think that's a long-term solution. The problem really looks like a design one, as there is ample room inside the handle to have another 1/2" or 1" of brass stem in there.
(12-11-2018, 09:56 AM)FS7 Wrote: I have a Delta tub faucet (this one: https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/T2794-RB) and I have a problem with the handles coming loose.

Initially, I thought the plumber screwed something up when it was built, but I have since replaced the stem cartridge and the problem persists. The handle attaches to the stem with a set screw that is supposed to push against the flat side of the stem. The handle rocks and can come off easily (my daughter isn't the gentlest).

From what I can tell, the set screw simply does not get good purchase against the stem. From the looks of it, the set screw aligns with the very top of the stem, so the brass stem itself is too short (it's the right part). I am not sure what I can do about this, as I don't see an easy way to extend the stem securely. I might try wrapping it in painter's tape to see if I can build up enough to rely on friction, but I don't think that's a long-term solution. The problem really looks like a design one, as there is ample room inside the handle to have another 1/2" or 1" of brass stem in there.

Call Delta,  they have a lifetime warranty and will help you with the problem.   Tape won't work for any amount of time.   Roly
I have similar Delta faucet for my bathroom sink, and have similar issues. After trying several fixes, all of which you mentioned, I agree, it is a design flaw. I simply keep the correct size allen wrench in my vanity drawer to tighten it periodically...it is not worth an entire replacement for me.

Ed
Ed
(12-11-2018, 10:16 AM)Ed in NC Wrote: I have similar Delta faucet for my bathroom sink, and have similar issues. After trying several fixes, all of which you mentioned, I agree, it is a design flaw. I simply keep the correct size allen wrench in my vanity drawer to tighten it periodically...it is not worth an entire replacement  for me.

Ed

Though it's probably ridiculous to try, I think I am going to get a small hex head bolt and screw it into the top. That part is threaded (10-32 or 10-24. I think, but I'll have to check) so if I can thread a bolt in at least a little, Loctite it in, and grind off the edges, that should give the set screw something better to bite into. Wrap that in tape and I *might* be in business.

For what was supposed to be a top of the line bathroom fixture I am pretty disappointed. The rest have held up well, but this one not so much.

My kitchen faucet (single handle, also Delta, also "high end") is experiencing similar issues. It's not coming off, but the handle is a bit loose and it's been tightened all the way. In my old house, the $35 Peerless faucet I bought from Walmart functioned as well after 10 years as it did new.
How about a set screw with a point instead of a near flat end.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(12-11-2018, 09:56 AM)FS7 Wrote: I have a Delta tub faucet (this one: https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/T2794-RB) and I have a problem with the handles coming loose.

If the stem is square piece of brass, then cut a piece of stock square brass 1/2" or so long the same size as the stem. Bore a thru hole for the extension and bolt the extension onto the stem. Use a steel screw or bolt, brass is soft and tends to break. Box stores carry the brass stock and specialty fasteners. You could also add epoxy like JB Weld besides the screw. An indent may help to keep the set screw in place. If you choose to drill a small point for the indent ,do it before the epoxy so it can be removed first. A bit of lipstick on the stem aids in marking the set screw indent.
mike
The existing set screw hits the stem in a bad spot. If the set screw had a perfect point, it *might* be 1/64" below the top of the stem. There is no good way to do that without an extension of some kind. Grinding to a point wouldn't really work. This is also why drilling and tapping the stem with a longer set screw wouldn't work.

I ended up putting a stainless socket cap screw in there. A 1/2" 10-24 screw threads in fully, and adds enough length (the head is about 1/4" tall) to provide purchase for the set screw. Additionally, the screw inside the threads prevents the brass from crushing (I had overtightened the set screw before, crushing the brass stem).

I did have to grind down the side of the screw to make it fit. I used the side of a bench grinder and essentially made the screw head an extension of the flat side of the stem. It just so happened to work out that it's about the same width too. I wrapped it plumber's tape to help. It seems to help a lot, but whether it will last is not something I know.
Sounds like a decent shot at a fix. I'll try and remember that one
Crazy
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.